PT9.S4.Q20 - Of every 100 burglar alarms

SwoopSwoopEagleSwoopSwoopEagle Alum Member
edited March 2018 in Logical Reasoning 78 karma

I think this is the first question I've come across that I truly don't understand. I don't think I'm getting what the "obvious alternative" is. Not sending police officers? Dying here, plz help.

Admin note: edited title

Comments

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    edited March 2018 1032 karma

@JCGamble said:
    I think this is the first question I've come across that I truly don't understand. I don't think I'm getting what the "obvious alternative" is. Not sending police officers? Dying here, plz help.

I could be out to lunch on this one, but my guess is that the "obvious alternative" the writer is referring to is the banning of burglar alarm systems. In a sense, it begins by posing a problem (a large drain on public resources) and one could suppose that we could simply eliminate that problem by removing burglar alarm systems (which is posited, in part, as the cause). The section of the argument mentioned in the stem suggests that such a solution might not be beneficial overall. Hopefully that makes sense...it's the only thing that's coming to me as I read it. :smile:

• SwoopSwoopEagleSwoopSwoopEagle Alum Member
    78 karma

Thanks guys, makes sense. Total mental block last night I appreciate the help.