Discouraged - Can I really pull this off or am I deluding myself?

farle072farle072 Alum Member
edited March 2018 in General 17 karma

I began studying for the LSAT shortly after I graduated from undergrad, about 5 years ago. I scored a 145 diagnostic. Since then I've taken the test 3 times officially, and my scores are 160, 160, 161. I haven't been studying intently the entire 5 years, I'll go for a few months of intense studying and then I'll take a few months break, etc. This is my "make or break" year to apply as I can't continue in this cycle anymore, and I am feeling sick and stressed already. My goal is 170+ so I can get into a T14 law school with my not so stellar 3.3 GPA in Poli Sci/Psych.

I am beginning to feel that my dream of attending a T14 law school is slipping, and it's depressing. I'll take diagnostic preptests that I've taken 2-3 times before and score 165-168 on them, though I know those numbers are inflated because at some point I probably encountered the question, even if I don't remember the exact answer.

I guess my questions are 1) Now that LSAC has lifted the 3 tests every 2 year requirement, is the fact Ill have 3-5 test scores on file going to diminish my chances? 2) At what point do I throw in the towel and say I've reached my maximum potential on this test? I work full-time, study about 3 hours a night on weekends and 6-8 hours a day on weekends and my personal life is taking a hit and I'm not getting any younger.

I've been told I could apply to a lower ranked school and likely get in with a scholarship, but I have high standards for myself. Does anyone have any tips for me? I'm not the type to give up, but I've never felt so discouraged in my life, and this test has been a chip on my shoulder for 5 years, and the weight is starting to take its toll on me.

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited March 2018 1804 karma

At this point, I don't think we have big enough data to make a reliable generalization regarding the relationship between the number of attempts and the probability of being admitted to a certain school.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited March 2018 1804 karma

Looking at your records, I would have said you already reached your maximum potential - if it weren't for the fact that you have almost continuously studied during the past 5 years. Any chance you would be willing to give a shot at a one-year break?

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

What is your score breakdown like? I do believe that everyone should strive to maxmize their LSAT potential as much as possible but it should be done so within reason. Tutors like Graeme (founder of lsathacks) mention how on the LSAT you literally need to change the way you think beyond a certain point of studying and if you don't make that change you will very likely get the same score. Leading up to your official takes, did you foolproof everygame? Did you experiment with different skipping strategies and adopt various steps to attack each problem type for LR? For RC, did you find a way to efficiently process the passage, learning to see the forest and not the trees? If you were able to diagnose your weaknesses and address them thoroughly, you should be able to get at least a couple points, presuming you arent maxed out. Realize that to get a 170 plus score you need to be comfortably averaging within that score range on your practice test.

What are your goals with your law degree as well?

• Brian_LSATBrian_LSAT Yearly Member
    232 karma

@westcoastbestcoast is asking some great questions.

I dropped in here because “am I deluding myself” is a question I’ve asked myself many, many times during my LSAT journey. I’m in a similar spot to you- non-traditional, lower than ideal GPA, working full time, wanting to move on in life.

What kept me going in the 12 months it took me to go from 163 (first post-CC diagnostic) to 175 (official score) was the incremental progress I saw along the way. I did my best to not allow variations from one section or one PT to the next to bring me down, instead always focusing on my rolling 5-PT average. Since that number slowly and consistently went up, I at least had hope that I was not deluding myself in reaching for a lofty goal.

If you’re not moving in the right direction, then you need to ask yourself if you’ve reached your limit or if you need to seriously re-think your approach.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Cut yourself some slack. You're dealing with a FT job and probably other life variables as well. It often takes longer to do this when these things are also going on. Being a nontraditional/returning student isn't easy. I'd say keep working on this test and then re-evaluate later.

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    edited March 2018 894 karma

Don't feel discouraged! It's a hard test. And I agree with @westcoastbestcoast when he cited the idea that you literally need to change how you think -- and because the LSAT punishes people who don't think a certain way. Learning the fundamentals will allow you to make the changes you need.

I personally don't believe in the idea that one has "reached their maximum potential" at a given point. I think it's defeatist and untrue -- and depressing to say aloud. I find it daunting to think "Just because it's been a long time with me getting 160s -- that's all I'm ever going to be able to get." I feel as though it sounds ridiculous. Everyone has potential to be at the tippity top imo. You really just have to keep pushing. I think with 5 years, non-intensive -- you're not where you want to be because your approach is maybe wrong. Or perhaps it should be intensive, albeit I'm assuming you have time/money to be intensively studying. What's your social life like? Is there any other free time you could be using to studying, but haven't been?

Also if you have high standards for yourself, stick to them and don't settle. Seriously. That's the philosophy I keep, because I am afraid I'll look back on my life and think, "Fuck. Why didn't I do that? Look at me now, would I have been better if I had done that?" You have the potential to get a 180!!! Don't let anyone say otherwise.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I think if at no point you have studied continuously then no you aren’t delusional, you just aren’t studying right. It’s like playing a sport. If you randomly practice every so often you’re never really gonna get good at it. A 160 is a good score considering that you never studied regularly. Just study regularly.

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    455 karma

@"surfy surf" agreed, I think you'll see massive improvement from a regular and strict study schedule.

• ShownuffShownuff Alum Member
    edited March 2018 222 karma

I'm in the same boat as you, so I salute your coming forward with this. One thing I'd like to add to this thread is diet and exercise. I've got 74 days left to my test, so I've decided to make a healthy diet and daily exercise a commitment for the next two and half months -in hopes that that will assist my mental stamina, memory, and effectiveness come test day.

• annewr253annewr253 Alum Member
    439 karma

@"lady macbeth" I completely agree with you! It's important to not place a ceiling on what you are capable of scoring, especially if you have not exhausted study adjustments. I am in a similar boat, being a splitter with a non-traditional GPA and I have also studied off and on since graduating in 2013. Coming into the new year, I really reevaluated my approach to this test and subsequently my life lol. I had to made some serious sacrifices to be able to put in the time for a strict, consistent, daily study schedule that produces a 170+. Now, almost three months later after adopting a super strict testing schedule, I had seen more small breakthroughs in my understanding than ever before. It has not been easy, I'm tired af after work, miss social stuff, blah blah but the small wins I'm seeing keep me going. I say all that to say, rather than declaring your max potential, first seriously reevaluate what sacrifices/ changes you could make to your studying plan, and then put it to practice. I'm sure you will see improvement! We are all in this together.

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    edited April 2018 894 karma

@attalla253 said:
    @"lady macbeth" I completely agree with you! It's important to not place a ceiling on what you are capable of scoring, especially if you have not exhausted study adjustments. I am in a similar boat, being a splitter with a non-traditional GPA and I have also studied off and on since graduating in 2013. Coming into the new year, I really reevaluated my approach to this test and subsequently my life lol. I had to made some serious sacrifices to be able to put in the time for a strict, consistent, daily study schedule that produces a 170+. Now, almost three months later after adopting a super strict testing schedule, I had seen more small breakthroughs in my understanding than ever before. It has not been easy, I'm tired af after work, miss social stuff, blah blah but the small wins I'm seeing keep me going. I say all that to say, rather than declaring your max potential, first seriously reevaluate what sacrifices/ changes you could make to your studying plan, and then put it to practice. I'm sure you will see improvement! We are all in this together.

Word. Congrats on your improvements!! I think putting a ceiling on your potential is not only discouraging to oneself, it’s discouraging to those around them. Haha, which is why i tend to be against It! People will likely think, “how if they’ve met their potential, when will i meet mine? What is my potential?” Such anxiety breeding questions to contemplate... just think of there being no limit. The limit does not exist !!!!

• olepuebloolepueblo Alum Member
    235 karma

Definitely cut yourself a break. Everybody has their own life timeline. Consistent scheduling is really important. How many tests have you taken? What are you struggling with specifically? How many are you missing per section?