PT6.S3.Q19 - Amy McConnell is considering running

Hey guys, I'm doing some LR drills and I can't seem to wrap my head around the correct answer for this question. Here's my lawgic for the stimulus:

L(LCF) --> FA --> MR
LLCF) --> S --> ICW --> MR
S --> ICW --> MR

When doing the drill, I picked C because: S --> ICW --> MR must be false. The sufficient is satisfied so the rule must trigger, which means that MR can't be negated.

According to the question bank, though, D is the correct answer. My lawgic translation for that choice is as follows: S --> ICW --> MR

It seems to me that D could be true. I know I'm missing something, but I just can't see it. Any insight, my friends?

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited March 2018 1804 karma
    1. LCF ---> Run
    2. LCF, then
      a. Scandal ---> Run; or
      b. Scandal ---> Run

Think of the stimulus as an unnecessarily and unpleasantly convoluted decision tree.

Before considering scandalous record, one first has to consider whether Lutz has a large campaign fund. (C) is wrong because Lutz's record could contain scandalous items but he may have a large campaign fund, in which case McConnell will not run (and wouldn't even consider examining his records in the first place). Therefore, (C) can be true and is not the correct answer.

(D) says that there is no scandalous record. In that case, the only choice left to McConnell is not running at all: If Lutz has a large campaign fund she will not run; even if he doesn't, there is no record that can be used against him, which prevents McConnell from running. But (D) says McConnell still runs. That is impossible, and therefore is the correct answer.

• mcbeezersmcbeezers Member
    20 karma

I knew I was missing something. Thank you so much for your help!