Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law School Visit/Meeting and Attire

Aspiring1LAspiring1L Alum Member
edited April 2018 in Law School Admissions 159 karma

Hey guys, I have a law school visit and a meeting with the Director of Admissions in a couple of weeks. Has anyone had a meeting like this before and if so, what did it consist of? Also, what's the proper attire for one? Thanks!!

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Yes i would like to know as well!!

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

I read that for women, a wool suit (jacket and skirt) is good. I'll let other weigh in on whether this is too formal.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Depends on how cold/warm it is, really. It's getting pretty warm in Phoenix, for example. Wool suit probably starting to go by the wayside in favor of linen or cotton. Be comfortable, whatever you wear.
    Can't go wrong with some form of business attire (business casual at the least). You rarely get a second chance at a first impression.

• Aspiring1LAspiring1L Alum Member
    159 karma

Good point. I'm gonna rock a suit @xadrianas6x

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

I'd go with business attire if you aren't admitted. I might still wear pretty formal stuff even if you are. Not necessarily a suit, and tie likely isn't needed, but you should have a dress shirt on. If you're female, nice pants/skirt + blazer + fancy flats are probably the way to go

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    edited April 2018 774 karma

This seems like a good start:
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/14689
    Best of luck! I'm meeting with the DoA in a few weeks, too! :)

• tmgomez2tmgomez2 Alum Member
    67 karma

I just had a meeting like this yesterday at a regional, unranked or very low ranked (can't remember) school.

The meeting was just a quick informational conversation. She talked a bit about the school, asked me "Why Law?" and expected me to have questions about the school for her. I asked about employment outcomes and a specific academic program. It was very comfortable and felt a lot less like an interview than an informal conversation. She did not take any notes, for example, at least while we were talking. Afterwards I sat in on a class.

I erred on the side of formal for attire---wore a black skirt, low black heels, and a white button down. I definitely felt overdressed in the class and slightly overdressed in the admissions office, but was happy to stand out in what I hoped was a positive way by showing how serious I was about the school.

I hope that helps a bit!

• rmattingrmatting Alum Member
    2 karma

Were you invited to the meeting as a part of the application/interview process?
    I’m planning to visit a few schools when I travel to California in a few months - can I set up meetings like this? What is the protocol with that, I’d love to give them a face to my name.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

@tmgomez2 said:
    I just had a meeting like this yesterday at a regional, unranked or very low ranked (can't remember) school.

The meeting was just a quick informational conversation. She talked a bit about the school, asked me "Why Law?" and expected me to have questions about the school for her. I asked about employment outcomes and a specific academic program. It was very comfortable and felt a lot less like an interview than an informal conversation. She did not take any notes, for example, at least while we were talking. Afterwards I sat in on a class.

I erred on the side of formal for attire---wore a black skirt, low black heels, and a white button down. I definitely felt overdressed in the class and slightly overdressed in the admissions office, but was happy to stand out in what I hoped was a positive way by showing how serious I was about the school.

I hope that helps a bit!

Was that unranked school Pepperdine? :lol:

• tmgomez2tmgomez2 Alum Member
    edited April 2018 67 karma

@rmatting Not OP but in my case I just submitted a form on their website requesting a campus visit and checked off what I wanted from the options listed (they had a meeting, tour, and classroom visit available.) They then emailed me to set it up. I have noticed that actually well-ranked schools are not nearly as accommodating so your mileage will definitely vary depending on where you want to visit.

@"Adam Hawks" Haha oh gosh if only

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Also, has anyone visited in summer? If so, was it possible to attend a class?

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

Anyone hear from NYU today? Apparently they are sending out calls.