Test Day Question - holding the test!

Jessi DiJessi Di Alum Member
in General 22 karma

When I'm taking the official LSAT, am I allowed to hold up the test when I take it or do I have to keep it down flat on my desktop?
This is mainly for RC.
I'm a much more active reader when I hold my test up and read facing forward than when I have my test flat on the desk and read facing down. This might also be due to my poor vision.
Just want to make sure I'm developing proper testing habits.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited April 2018 13286 karma

I'd say the test will probably have to stay flat. It's up to the proctors but I really don't think they'd be okay with it being lifted up. It's not worth the potential dismissal/negative mark they can give...

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited April 2018 4423 karma

I wouldn't get wedded to doing it one way or the other, but it would probably be fine. I think I sort of slouched in my chair and propped it up at an angle against the table during one or two of the reading comp sections and no one complained.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think they would likely frown on like, holding it way up in front of you. But tilting it up a bit is probably ok. If you do any marking on the passages, then it probably wouldn't be a good idea. You'd waste time moving it back and forth. I don't think there are any specific rules on it, but they might not allow it.

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

You can't lift it, and I wouldn't risk tilting it. Get used to reading it flat. As @"Leah M B" notes, you're probably marking it, which you can't do effectively unless it's on a flat surface

• m.c lshopefulm.c lshopeful Alum Member
    614 karma

It would definitely be noticeable to the proctor(s) if you hold it up like you might imagine someone would do with a newspaper. However, if your forearms are resting on the table and you are just turning it up towards you with your hands you should be fine. I took the test two times and the proctors were nice people who leaned towards being more understanding rather than trying to ruffle people's feathers over little silly things....

That said, the first time I took the test at Oregon State University the room we used had those little tiny desks that you flip up and was only slightly larger than the usual 8x12 piece of computer paper. When I opened the test it hung down on both sides of the tiny surface area of the desk and most of us were forced to hold the test so it wouldn't fall down. I saw a lot of us resting the answer sheet on our thighs and we had to put our supplies that would usually be placed on the desk (erasers, extra pencils, tissues, watch) on the floor. When it came time to bubble in answers, we had to move the bubble sheet to the desk, hold the floppy test pamphlet with one hand somehow and then bubble answers with one hand while trying to pin the answer sheet to the desk with your forearm so you could bubble properly. Perhaps this sort of environment was part of the reason they let us do what we needed to do just to get through the test. It was not a good testing experience.... This was the Dec. 2017 test and I got a 164 but I retook at a different testing location that had the table-desk style with adequate room and jumped to a 172 for the Feb. 2018 test.

I would DEFINITELY check out the table space you will have at your testing location rather than just doing a practice run of finding parking and the test room.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

Hmm never thought about this. I think you would be fine if you were just holding it at a slight angle, not directly out in front of your face. That would probably cause the proctors to take notice, but if you just need to have your hands holding the paper I think it would be fine to pick it up a little. You could also just ask beforehand. In the meantime, maybe practice both so you aren’t thrown off come test day.

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

At my testing center it had to be kept flat on the table. I tried.

903 karma

Heres a funny story. On D-Day last Feb after the 15 min break we started the next section. For some god awful unknown reason my stupid nose began to run. And I mean RUN! It felt like my nose all of a sudden became Niagara Falls! And stupid me, I didn't bring any tissues, (I needed a towel!) So anyways I lifted my test up so I could keep my head level and I was immediately told to put it flat on the table.

903 karma

I had a hoodie on and had to us my sleeve. Im sure I looked like a little orphan kid! It was gross, it completely messed up that section of LR. Luckily it was the experimental section!

• Jessi DiJessi Di Alum Member
    22 karma

Thanks everyone for your responses! They were all very helpful. I'll keep the test flat on my desk from now on!