Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking a long time BRing and stark contrast between old and newer PTs

Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
edited April 2018 in General 1058 karma

Hey y'all :) I have two quick questions for those of you who, preferably, have bidden farewell to the LSAT after beasting out recently.

First of all, I used to be super impatient with having to wait until thorough BR was over years ago when I was studying for this test. So as much as I wanted to brainwash myself that I was BRing, as soon as I finished a PT, I rushed to the last page and started checking answers. Looking back, I know I shot myself in the foot. (I ended up not taking the LSAT that year. Smart choice.)

Years have passed since then. I started studying a couple of months ago and this time things have changed. I AM TAKING IT REALLY SLOW WHEN IT COMES TO PTs. So I'd do a timed LR or RC section(with a scantron!) and sometimes I check my answers a day or EVEN TWO DAYS LATER. In between, I am writing down how I separated conclusions and premises, any assumptions/patterns/trap answer choices I have noticed that repeatedly occur on the test, which answer choices particularly confused me and WHY I fell for the trap answer choices and HOW I would counter differently if I were to do it again etc. Only then, do I check the answers. Yes, I do this for almost every question except for super obvious MP questions or questions that I was 100% confident with that it took me 10 seconds to finish. As you know very well, this entire process even for a single LR or RC section really takes a long time. Half a day is the minimum on a single timed section. The thing is sometimes I feel as though I'm too comfortable with the waiting process. Is taking a day or two between timed sections laudable or am I taking it too slowly? Granted, taking a long time BRing doesn't always necessarily lead to awesome results but what do you think, Mr./Ms. Gurus?

Second question is shorter: my performance on a few timed LR sections in the late 20s and the 30s onwards have been -5 to -3. BR scores have hit -2 at best(for instance on PT 30). This makes me feel really great. But at the same time I am working on PT 1 to 10 and it gives me a heart attack to see the results: timed scores are -8 to even -15 on a SINGLE LR section(PT 5 to be exact) and BR scores aren't really different from timed scores. I feel as though I'm preparing for a different test when it comes to pre-PT 10s. Are LR sections in the 60s and 70s much more similar to the 30s on which I have been performing well? How much weight would you give to these crappy results from LR sections from the early 1990s? The crazy thing of all is that when I'm going through questions timed, I feel the same. And then the results: bam. -15 and -3 confuse the heck outta me.

Am I on the right path?

Comments

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

Howdy! I totally get those mind-busting LR scores. :neutral: Don't give up!

Just to clarify, have you already worked through the 7Sage curriculum?

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

@"paulmv.benthem" I have. thank you

1058 karma

Anyone else? Please share with me some thoughts :(

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited April 2018 3072 karma

Do you label your conclusions and premises as you complete LR stimuli?

LR on later tests are different but not that different. They're certainly not different enough to justify radical swings in section scores like you suggest to be your experience. It sounds like you have some fundamental understanding issues.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

Are LR sections in the 60s and 70s much more similar to the 30s on which I have been performing well? How much weight would you give to these crappy results from LR sections from the early 1990s?

Yes to the first question. I, however, would be concerned with results from earliest PTs. One should be seeing similar (if not better) performances on those PTs.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited April 2018 3652 karma

are you handwriting or typing? Maybe try typing? I do the same thing as you with writing out explanations but I type it out and I don’t take more than 2 hours to br one section. I usually have only like 8 or less questions circled to br tho. Maybe you’re br’ing too many questions and it’s causing you to have confidence errors on the exam? I would go back through the 7sage CC drills.

1058 karma

@"surfy surf" thank you :)

1058 karma

@FixedDice Got it. Thank you!

1058 karma

@goingfor99th Yes,I do. Thank you for your insight.