Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

-6.5 LG avg, how to improve

beezmoofbeezmoof Alum Member
edited April 2018 in Logic Games 555 karma

Hi everyone,

I'm gearing up for June and LG is holding me back from easily scoring in the 170s. Over the last four PTs I'm averaging -6.5 on this section. I've been studying for over half a year, and I already did PT 1-35 FPing. Before the last four PTs I used to go approximately -3 (never -0), but now I'm -6.5. I even took two weeks off from PTing in March to focus on LG--did drilling by type, but on the two PTs afterwards I got -5 and -6 on LG. Worth mentioning that I do the pacifico method with each new weekly PT I take.

As expected, I BR 100% nearly every time. During the exam here's what I think happens: I go too slow (feel this most during my setups; often feel rushed for the last game/or the game I skip and come back to at the end), my setups aren't 100% (sometimes I freeze while diagramming/miss an opportunity to optimally diagram), I make avoidable (in hindsight) mistakes with questions. I've also been running a list of every mistake I've made, if anyone wants more info.

Maybe my procedure is sloppy? (I also wrote up a worddoc describing my ideal procedure, lol I'm trying everything.) Idk what's up. Getting frustrated because this is the section everyone says is easiest to improve on, but it doesn't seem that way for me.

Now I'm at a loss as to how to improve and would appreciate targeted help. I know I need to do more drilling but I want to be efficient about it before June. Should I be doing more sets of LGs from new PTs? Does this sound like time pressure anxiety?

Would really appreciate any words of advice <3

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Hmm maybe you may not like this answer but I was like you and struggled with LG. After doing foolproof method and taking every LG in existence multiple times, I was able to get a minus 1 average. After you take enough LGs, you will start picking up on patterns on how the test writers like to test inferences. Like LR, there are ways to attack each question type for LG. With enough practice, you will soon develop a way that works for yourself.

• beezmoofbeezmoof Alum Member
    555 karma

@westcoastbestcoast if that’s what I need to do that’s what I need to do! Did you drill individual sections of new PTs while doing full PTs?

3788 karma

@beezmoof said:
    @westcoastbestcoast if that’s what I need to do that’s what I need to do! Did you drill individual sections of new PTs while doing full PTs?

When i was drilling LG heavily, I already took all the preptests before. I still believe that reusing LG sections helped. I would redo older LG sections, specificially 1-36 before moving onto the new ones. Save the newer exams like PT 50s to PT 70s for practice exams

edited April 2018 555 karma

@westcoastbestcoast Awesome sounds good. After reflecting a little more I also feel like maybe the reason I'm not seeing improving despite FPing is that I'm not memorizing inferences as I'm foolproofing. I do a LG section, BR it, do it a few more times over 2 weeks and then move on. Can you comment on whether you memorized and how you did that? Maybe I need to start writing down inferences I've made after each game.

3788 karma

@beezmoof said:
    @westcoastbestcoast Awesome sounds good. After reflecting a little more I also feel like maybe the reason I'm not seeing improving despite FPing is that I'm not memorizing inferences as I'm foolproofing. I do a LG section, BR it, do it a few more times over 2 weeks and then move on. Can you comment on whether you memorized and how you did that? Maybe I need to start writing down inferences I've made after each game.

Hey @beezmoof . I didnt memorize it in the strictest sense. Through extended practice, I would make connections and be able to see similar deductions being applied on different games. I would go through the JY vids and make note of deductions that I missed. I would immediately redo the game and solve it using those same deductions until I can finish it on time and with 100 percent accuracy. If i found a game to be particularly vexing, I would revisit it after a couple days and resolve the game.

555 karma

@westcoastbestcoast Awesome. Thanks for your help and time!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

I like your sloppy procedure hypothesis. You've fool proofed, you've done intensives, and you -0 your BRs. Sounds like you know what you're doing. And don't feel behind because everyone says LG is the easiest to improve. It was the last section to click for me too! If you'd like to share your procedure, I'd be happy to take a look.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited April 2018 3652 karma

"Worth mentioning that I do the pacifico method with each new weekly PT I take." -- so you only fool proof LG after taking an entire preptest?
    Unless I misread, it sounds like you havent really drilled LG by section aside from the 2 weeks you took to drill by type.
    Just drill LG in pt1-35, you dont need to take the entire PT. You might just be tired from taking the whole PT and making silly mistakes or getting nervous. Maybe foolproof LG sections during the week and take a PT on the weekend or even just one PT every other weekend.
    I don't recommend drilling by type.
    I think once you drill LG sections for a while and then go back to taking PTs, you'll get your BR score on PTs.

555 karma

@"Cant Get Right" I might take you up on that offer
    @"surfy surf" Yes! I realized that I need to do more drilled sections. Doing a couple daily under 33 minutes instead to also help mitigate/plan for my test anxiety. Hopefully I'll see BR scores bc of this!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

Feel free to PM me!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Ugh. I hear ya. LG is one of my worst sections. I'm stalled in the CC, working on LG. Thinking maybe I should continue on to RC and work on that and then come back to drilling LG. I know which problems give me the worst trouble now. June comes soon.