Help - GPA

stormstorm Member
edited April 2018 in General 261 karma

Hey there!

So, I have a 3.78 GPA from my degree granting institution, but a 3.59 GPA overall due to my first year of school (3.11 GPA at a diff school). I am writing an addendum, as I experienced extreme harassment by faculty at my first educational institution, which drove me to leave/enabled me to leave with my first semester of sophomore year erased from my transcript as well as my tuition.

Year 1: 3.11 GPA
Year 2 (new institution, 1 semester): 3.67 GPA
Year 3: 3.82 GPA
Year 4: 3.80 GPA

I'm really hoping that this doesn't kill my ability to get into some good schools (UofM and NYU primarily). I know it means I'll want to get in their 75%+ LSAT percentile, but do you think that now these schools should be considered a reach for me?

Gah. I'm so upset that I didn't ask them to erase my freshman year too when I left, as I was extremely affected throughout that year too.

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

Would you mind sharing your LSAT score? Hard to say whether you are a Splitter by your GPA alone.

• stormstorm Member
    261 karma

@FixedDice said:
    Would you mind sharing your LSAT score? Hard to say whether you are a Splitter by your GPA alone.

Hey! I am still studying now. My doable LSAT score looks like it will be 169-171 given PTs and studying trends.

• stormstorm Member
    261 karma

I suppose, to clarify, what I'm really asking is - am I screwed now with getting into these schools?

1804 karma

Hey! I am still studying now. My doable LSAT score looks like it will be 169-171 given PTs and studying trends.

A Splitter is someone who has a low GPA and a high LSAT score. So technically, you are not a Splitter yet (unless you already have a score).

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

You will be a splitter if you can get your LSAT above the 75th. And admissions are not hopeless for splitters. You'll have a fair chance, but apply broadly. First get the great LSAT score though. Then worry about whether you are a splitter and what your exact chances are.

http://mylsn.info/g072mm/

1804 karma

Hard to say; depends on only so many factors. I would think a good addendum will keep you in the running though.

• stormstorm Member
    edited April 2018 261 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    You will be a splitter if you can get your LSAT above the 75th. And admissions are not hopeless for splitters. You'll have a fair chance, but apply broadly. First get the great LSAT score though. Then worry about whether you are a splitter and what your exact chances are.

http://mylsn.info/g072mm/

Thanks for the advice. I forgot about using mylsn in the stress of discovering the news (my academic report just populated on CAS). It actually looks like, if I can swing a 171+, there could be hope at NYU, Columbia and Michigan. Hopefully my softs and the GPA addendum can help too. This helps me not give up.

• sberg2014sberg2014 Alum Member
    63 karma

Hi Storm! I'm in a similar position as well. Michigan is my target school. I had a 3.11 my first semester and I changed schools after this. 3.64 during year two at a community college, and a 3.8-4.0 junior and senior years at my university. I had a 3.89 at my degree granting institution ended up with a 3.74 all together. I plan on writing an addendum as well and have a similar target LSAT. Anyway, from what I hear it certainly seems possible. Good luck!