Wait-listed - what should I do before deposit deadline?

ArtoriusArtorius Alum Member

Hi everyone,

Just received an email that I was wait-listed by a school which I am willing to attend.

The school's full/first deposit deadline is April 16. Is there anything I should do before now and then to increase my chance of being admitted?

By the way, I already submitted a "why school X" essay with my application, so my LOCI will need to be something else.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I think people usually send in the LOCI right after the deposit deadline because that's when schools start to look back to the waitlist. You don't want to send it in earlier because the later you send it(while still getting it in before they might start looking to accept people off the waitlist) the more likely it seems to them that you will still be interested when and if they accept you.

As far as material, I'm sure you have further reasobs for wanting to go to the school. You can also use the LOCI to update them if you have had any major resume changes.

• ArtoriusArtorius Alum Member
    188 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    I think people usually send in the LOCI right after the deposit deadline because that's when schools start to look back to the waitlist. You don't want to send it in earlier because the later you send it(while still getting it in before they might start looking to accept people off the waitlist) the more likely it seems to them that you will still be interested when and if they accept you.

As far as material, I'm sure you have further reasobs for wanting to go to the school. You can also use the LOCI to update them if you have had any major resume changes.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think visiting the school at this point will increase my chance of admission?

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@Artorius said:

Thanks for the advice. Do you think visiting the school at this point will increase my chance of admission?

Visiting can't hurt. It's something, that if you are capable of doing, I would defiantly keep in mind. Visiting can also give you more substantive material to write about when you submit your LOCI. You want this school to know you are extremely interested in them and admission to their school!

edited April 2018 188 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@Artorius said:

Visiting can't hurt. It's something, that if you are capable of doing, I would defiantly keep in mind. Visiting can also give you more substantive material to write about when you submit your LOCI. You want this school to know you are extremely interested in them and admission to their school!

Lord Vader, thanks for your advice.

After reading some online articles, I come up with this idea that since I want to become a prosecutor, if I email the criminal law professor of the school, introduce myself, tell him my goal, show him how good I am and how much I want to become his student, do you think he will offer some help/advice/insight on how to get off the waitlist? Or this is just a crazy idea which may jeopardize my chance of admission?

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@Artorius said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@Artorius said:

After reading some online articles, I come up with this idea that since I want to become a prosecutor, if I email the criminal law professor of the school, introduce myself, tell him my goal, show him how good I am and my desire of becoming a student of him, do you think he will offer some help/advice/insight on how to get off the waitlist? Or this just sound too crazy?

Nothing sounds crazy! I think if you do it in the right way it is a great idea. Just make sure you don't come off as super pushy. If they seem to not like the idea, or being bothered, just let it go!

I visited one of my top choices last Friday and sat in on a class and LOVED it. I'm all set to write a LOCI based on the experience I had!

188 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@Artorius said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@Artorius said:

After reading some online articles, I come up with this idea that since I want to become a prosecutor, if I email the criminal law professor of the school, introduce myself, tell him my goal, show him how good I am and my desire of becoming a student of him, do you think he will offer some help/advice/insight on how to get off the waitlist? Or this just sound too crazy?

Nothing sounds crazy! I think if you do it in the right way it is a great idea. Just make sure you don't come off as super pushy. If they seem to not like the idea, or being bothered, just let it go!

I visited one of my top choices last Friday and sat in on a class and LOVED it. I'm all set to write a LOCI based on the experience I had!

Good to know that we are both making progress!