Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do I need to check the explanation if I got this question right?

When I do my problem set, do I need check explanation for every question even if I got it right?

Comments

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    edited April 2018 1741 karma

If you are still working on the core curriculum, absolutely. Just because you answered a question correctly, does not mean you used the correct reasoning to get there.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

If you’re going through the CC yeah I would watch every video and write out explanations for the wrong and right answers

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Yeah. Watch the videos anyway. You may see the setup and go "Crap! If I had done that extra step JY is showing, I would have gotten it so much easier/faster!". If you find yourself routinely doing exactly what JY does, over and over again, then maybe not. But you may be surprised to find that you missed an inference or a connection that would have made it so much better for you.

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

Are you talking about LR, RC, or LG, or some or all of them? I don't think there is a clear-cut answer to your question. Admittedly, I did not watch the explanation for every problem in the CC, and I seem to be doing well in my prep. That being said, I did watch every explanation when I was doing the logic games because J.Y. would sometimes take an approach to a game that was markedly different from my own, but far more efficient and/or reliable.

For LR, I did not watch every explanation. Sometimes, you come across LR questions that are so very simple that watching a 4 minute video seemed to be a waste of time. Though, I can't see watching the video doing any damage, unless you are tight for time in your prep (e.g. studying in the evenings, etc.). Though, just because you found a question simple does not mean it actually is. When I was doing problem sets (and even now as I'm drilling and doing full tests), I would watch the explanation for questions that I found easy but others found difficult. Oftentimes, it was these harder questions with more convoluted wording or structure that really demonstrated the fine complexities of how LR work, and why some ACs are the ONLY the correct answer.

In summary, if you got time, I don't see it hurting...but watching every video may not be a very economical route. Hope that helps! :smiley: