Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is burn out real? What do you do to stay happy?

marleybabymarleybaby Alum Member
edited October 2014 in General 194 karma
Sorry i just need to ask this. Is it real or is it a state of mind?

I'd appreciate some input on this

Comments

• turnercmturnercm Alum Member 🍌
    edited October 2014 770 karma
    "Your mind makes it real." - Morpheus

seriously though, burnout is a very real thing. your brain can be overworked, like any other muscle in your body. and sometimes trying to think yourself out of it just makes it worse. its easy to forget that rest is just as important as studying well, (I tell myself as I type in the LSAT forum after studying for the LSAT since this morning).

take breaks, take a day off every now and then, and try not to over stress!

(and with that, i think i'll go to sleep now haha) i hope this helps answer your question!
  • km.edelsonkm.edelson Alum Member
    31 karma
    While I was studying for the test, I had a nearly 10 point drop in practice test scores over 2 or 3 tests. I was despondent, and since my mind was exhausted and also running really fast, I was convinced I was just not working hard enough. My girlfriend saw through it luckily (the lsat can really make you lose perspective!), demanded I take a day off, and basically instructed me to complete an itinerary of things I really like (music and cooking related, in my case, but whatever makes you happy and relaxed). The day after I came back to the test and was back up 10 points again. Also - vigorous exercise and good sleep are crucial. Take care of yourself - makes a huge difference on test day too!

ON THE OTHER HAND: The LSAT requires an enormous amount of mental control even on a good day - not to get disappointed by a hard question, to stay focused when it is going well, etc. So stay methodical and confident. The good rest supports this, but there are moments where you should say to yourself, no matter how you feel "now I am going to read this and retain it, process it logically, and it will work." Good luck!
  • marleybabymarleybaby Alum Member
    194 karma
    Thanks! I agree. Sometimes you must force yourself to find comfort and concentration because you are not focusing... even on a good day.

Thanks guys!