Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I take the June 2018 LSAT

mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
in General 757 karma

Hi everyone,

I recently joined the ultimate+ course after using the "lawschooli Mastermind" program for about 6 months (wish I had found 7sage earlier). Although I did establish a solid foundation on all aspects of the LSAT using the Mastermind program, I still have a few significant gaps in learning. I have already signed up for the June 2018 test and can still take it if I choose. As of right now, I am not PTing in my desired score range of at least 165. Since I am not a complete beginner at the LSAT, I plan on using the September 2018 test as my new date (assuming my PT score follows).

Would it be a bad idea to take the June 2018 test, knowing that I am not PTing in my desired range, in order to get over the feeling of taking the real test? (Basically overcoming "1st test anxiety") Since my plan is to be fully prepared by September I want the September test to go as smoothly as possible. Basically my idea for taking the June test would be to see what doing the real thing feels like apart from my full PT testing practice. Should I take the June test, knowing I am not as prepared as I should be, OR wait until September when I am hopefully PTing in my desired score range? Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• testfromawaytestfromaway Alum Member
    280 karma

Testing is expensive and inconvenient. If there's any chance at all you could get the score you want, you could test just to see if you get there. Otherwise, I don't know about you, but I'd feel kind of demoralized if I got a score back that disappointed me, even if I had tried to tell myself that this was a low -stakes trial run, on top of the effort and money that you'd be spending just for kicks and giggles.

I personally wouldn't do it, I'd just PT in a noisy cafe and call it a day, but I'm also more strapped for cash and very hard on myself when I don't live up to what I've decided is my potential.

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

@testfromaway true the financial aspect does play a role, I will keep that in mind, thanks!

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited April 2018 1804 karma

I am inclined to think that using a simulated proctor in a variety of environments would be fine. If you can afford the expenses and really, really, really want to experience that test day vibe, however, then by all means go ahead. We live in a free country or countries (I'm assuming you are not living in China). Just keep in mind that the September administration may well not be your last attempt at the LSAT.

• OneFortyDotSixOneFortyDotSix Alum Member
    edited April 2018 634 karma

It's well-documented test takers are 5 points "dumber" on test day - experiences by a number of 7sagers, myself included, support that notion. This is due to a number of factors - fatigue, test room distractions, stress, different routine on test day, etc.

a friend recently shared this blog post by a 180 scorer. A lot of the advice is independent of the score you're specifically targeting:

https://nathanwailes.atlassian.net/wiki/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=1409196#content/view/1409196

The author of the post suggests over-preparing to counteract the potential of lost points on test day. Examples include taking 8 timed sections in a day, doing full PT's on days back to back, PTing in loud, distracting environments, and so on. If you have concerns about having a lower than ideal score on your LSAC report, then these may be approaches to consider rather than taking an official test.

Also I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not, but test writers have started introducing "unusual" logic games on most tests since Dec 2011. The universal availability of J.Y's video explanations and the foolproofing method essentially broke the LSAT logic games curve since a lot more testers started getting -0 to -3 on logic games. To counteract this LSAC started introducing a unusual games and new concepts in tests 65 onwards. A curve-ball like this can sometimes also contribute to a less than ideal test-day performance. Definitely make sure you're taking preptests 65-82 (use those for full, simulated tests but still blind review them before scoring), and practice the LG sections from preptests 0-10, which had some very unusual games.

757 karma

@OneFortyDotSix Awesome! Thanks for the advice!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@OneFortyDotSix said:
    It's well-documented test takers are 5 points "dumber" on test day - experiences by a number of 7sagers, myself included, support that notion. This is due to a number of factors - fatigue, test room distractions, stress, different routine on test day, etc.

a friend recently shared this blog post by a 180 scorer. A lot of the advice is independent of the score you're specifically targeting:

https://nathanwailes.atlassian.net/wiki/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=1409196#content/view/1409196

The author of the post suggests over-preparing to counteract the potential of lost points on test day. Examples include taking 8 timed sections in a day, doing full PT's on days back to back, PTing in loud, distracting environments, and so on. If you have concerns about having a lower than ideal score on your LSAC report, then these may be approaches to consider rather than taking an official test.

Also I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not, but test writers have started introducing "unusual" logic games on most tests since Dec 2011. The universal availability of J.Y's video explanations and the foolproofing method essentially broke the LSAT logic games curve since a lot more testers started getting -0 to -3 on logic games. To counteract this LSAC started introducing a unusual games and new concepts in tests 65 onwards. A curve-ball like this can sometimes also contribute to a less than ideal test-day performance. Definitely make sure you're taking preptests 65-82 (use those for full, simulated tests but still blind review them before scoring), and practice the LG sections from preptests 0-10, which had some very unusual games.

Thanks for mentioning that guide. I'd been referencing it for a while, but didn't remember where I got the advice to take 4 section prep tests back to back with a break in between. It was great for me to build endurance, get through more tests, and avoid burnout.

• ajaraya0ajaraya0 Alum Member
    edited April 2018 79 karma

I'm in a pretty similar boat. I had been studying with PowerScore since last June and started with 7sage about two weeks ago. I'm seeing that I can build way more strategy if I delay to September despite already having registered for June. The cost to postpone the test date is $100. So I could spend $370 on 2 real tests or use the $85 difference saved by delaying and taking 1 real test to purchase more PTs with invaluable explanations from JY. Also you'll allow yourself to participate in the BR study group that I saw you commented on.

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

Did you guys know that there will also be a July exam?

• ajaraya0ajaraya0 Alum Member
    79 karma

Yeah, but since I have access to 7sage for 6 months, I want to use as much of that time as I can to ensure I'm hitting my target score.

757 karma

@tams2018 I did, I suppose that is also an option, although I am still probably going to bank on September. Thanks!

• RiseandGrindRiseandGrind Alum Member
    219 karma

I would take it in June if you want to ensure that September will go as smoothly as possible. Even though it will be more expensive, there is nothing that can simulate the test day feeling besides actually participating in test day. I would not go in with the expectation that you'll nail it in June, but take it so you can experience what you'll face (and hopefully crush) in September.

757 karma

@RiseandGrind My thoughts exactly! Thanks for the input!