Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any tips on appealing financial aid?

EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member

Recently got admitted to Loyola, but they gave me no scholarships. I called and they said that I'm welcome to email the Financial Aid Office so they can reconsider/reevaluate. I was told they don't match other school's financial aid and that all scholarships are merit based.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what I should include in the email. I'm at their 75th percentile for LSAT and a bit above their 50th percentile for GPA.

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

It depends on your standing with similarly/higher ranked schools. If they're your top choice and you have no other schools waiting on you then it's unlikely that they'll be willing to send you any money. They hold all the cards - or they think they do! However, if you notify them of other offers that are superior to theirs financially or academically, they will have to step up their financial offer if they want to keep you.

If that doesn't work then you can always look for aid from fafsa.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited April 2018 4850 karma

Take a look at Loyola's 509. According to the 2016-2017 data, 87% of their students received some level of financial aid. You might want to ask if they consider you part of the bottom 13% of their admitted students for this year (your self reported numbers would say you are not).

https://www.luc.edu/media/lucedu/law/Std509Disclosure.pdf

ETA: The question I posed above was slightly tongue-in-cheek. You are obviously not statistically (at least as measured by GPA/LSAT) in the bottom 13% of their class (or bottom 10% if you are a full time admit). I would carefully craft a statement referencing their 509 data specifically, your placement within their bell curve, and a polite request that they reconsider, given their demonstrated history of merit aid. There is no way you should be paying full freight given your numbers.

• EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member
    224 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    Take a look at Loyola's 509. According to the 2016-2017 data, 87% of their students received some level of financial aid. You might want to ask if they consider you part of the bottom 13% of their admitted students for this year (your self reported numbers would say you are not).

https://www.luc.edu/media/lucedu/law/Std509Disclosure.pdf

ETA: The question I posed above was slightly tongue-in-cheek. You are obviously not statistically (at least as measured by GPA/LSAT) in the bottom 13% of their class (or bottom 10% if you are a full time admit). I would carefully craft a statement referencing their 509 data specifically, your placement within their bell curve, and a polite request that they reconsider, given their demonstrated history of merit aid. There is no way you should be paying full freight given your numbers.

Thanks for this, I appreciate it! But I was actually talking about Loyola Law School in LA (:

• EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member
    224 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    It depends on your standing with similarly/higher ranked schools. If they're your top choice and you have no other schools waiting on you then it's unlikely that they'll be willing to send you any money. They hold all the cards - or they think they do! However, if you notify them of other offers that are superior to theirs financially or academically, they will have to step up their financial offer if they want to keep you.

If that doesn't work then you can always look for aid from fafsa.

UC Hasting's which is ranked higher gave me 30K, and I'm still waiting for 2 other schools. But, I'll for sure mention Hasting's aid in the letter. Thanks!

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Opps, sorry. Loyola LA give aid to 67%, so there is still a case to be made.

Either way, good luck. You definitely won’t be hurt by asking.