Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Michigan State or Wayne State?

Sak_ 6789Sak_ 6789 Free Trial Member
edited April 2018 in Law School Admissions 14 karma

I have offers from both places with similar scholarship amounts. I have been waitlisted at UofM , but doubt i'll hear back anytime soon. Even if i do, i doubt there would be any scholarship money. Which of these two is a better option? MSU is better ranked, but Wayne is in Detroit, which means better networking opportunities. Any suggestions?

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I'd say MSU but also to wait and see with U of M.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Two things.

Do you want a job in Lansing, somewhere on the east side of the state, somewhere on the west side of the state, Detroit, or outside the state? You can't count on the bigger law firms from either school, but I've heard Wayne State gives an edge because it is in Detroit where most of the big law jobs are. Elsewhere in the state MSU might have an edge by rank and name. MSU also has better access to any jobs in state government through it's proximity to Lansing. But if you have any interest in Big Law you should find a way to get into U of M either this cycle or by waiting. I also wouldn't attend either school without strong ties to the state.

I'd really recommend a retake here. U of M is a qualitatively different school. That is especially true if you want Big Law. However, their LRAP protects you better if you don't want Big Law. And with ties to the state the U of M name should all but guarantee you a job as a lawyer especially when compared to MSU and Wayne State.

I think it is really going to come down to your preferences here but if I had to choose I would say Go Green! It seems to me that if you don't hold out for U of M you are already giving up on the whole Big Law thing so there is less incentive to go to Wayne for a marginally better small chance at Big Law.

Feel free to PM me if there is anything you would like to know about MSU's campus.

• Sak_ 6789Sak_ 6789 Free Trial Member
    14 karma

I wish to work in Detroit, but dont have any preference as such for big law or one at the state government.I'm interested in both and am open to exploring them as I start law school. I dont mind waiting for U of M , but the fact that they havent got back to me yet is freaking me out. I dont want to keep waiting for them and lose out on these two schools as well.I really want to start this year so not considering a retake.

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    Two things.

Do you want a job in Lansing, somewhere on the east side of the state, somewhere on the west side of the state, Detroit, or outside the state? You can't count on the bigger law firms from either school, but I've heard Wayne State gives an edge because it is in Detroit where most of the big law jobs are. Elsewhere in the state MSU might have an edge by rank and name. MSU also has better access to any jobs in state government through it's proximity to Lansing. But if you have any interest in Big Law you should find a way to get into U of M either this cycle or by waiting. I also wouldn't attend either school without strong ties to the state.

I'd really recommend a retake here. U of M is a qualitatively different school. That is especially true if you want Big Law. However, their LRAP protects you better if you don't want Big Law. And with ties to the state the U of M name should all but guarantee you a job as a lawyer especially when compared to MSU and Wayne State.

I think it is really going to come down to your preferences here but if I had to choose I would say Go Green! It seems to me that if you don't hold out for U of M you are already giving up on the whole Big Law thing so there is less incentive to go to Wayne for a marginally better small chance at Big Law.

Feel free to PM me if there is anything you would like to know about MSU's campus.

@lsatplaylist said:

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@"Sak_ 6789" said:
    I wish to work in Detroit, but dont have any preference as such for big law or one at the state government.I'm interested in both and am open to exploring them as I start law school. I dont mind waiting for U of M , but the fact that they havent got back to me yet is freaking me out. I dont want to keep waiting for them and lose out on these two schools as well.I really want to start this year so not considering a retake.

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    Two things.

@lsatplaylist said:

With a preference for Detroit, I would go with Wayne over MSU. A retake could potentially help get off the waitlist in addition to helping if you wait a year.

U of M really is better as far as placement goes and worth waiting a year for and retaking. I wouldn't attend Wayne or MSU unless you can do so with debt you would be confident you can pay off if you can't get a legal job. That is going to be a risk at either school.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Yes, I see U of M as a good first choice and I really hope you get an offer.