PT8.S1.Q20 - Saunders: Everyone at last week's neighborhood

wkim2015wkim2015 Member
edited May 2018 in Logical Reasoning 86 karma

Can somebody explain to me why answer choice (b) is the correct answer? I can't understand how renovating the houses would be the choice that precludes the possibility of trying the other approach. Isn't it the other way around with demolition?

Please help. Thank you!

Admin note: edited title

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

Right, demolition is the one that precludes the possibility of renovation.

The question stem asks you to pick a principle that would decide in favor of either (1) demolition or (2) rehabilitation (forget the conclusion in the stimulus - that is just irrelevant). The stimulus gives two possibilities: demolition or rehabilitation. As you pointed out, only demolition precludes the other possibility. (B) says that in such a situation, the approach that does not preclude the other possibility should be chosen. According to (B), then, renovation is the approach that should be adopted. That's why (B) is right.

• wkim2015wkim2015 Member
    86 karma

Thanks so much for the reply. What I still don't get is, the conclusion says demolition proves that the majority in support was right. Why are we to ignore the conclusion? Is it because of what the question stem is asking?

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

@wkim2015 said:
    Why are we to ignore the conclusion? Is it because of what the question stem is asking?

Right. The question stem should dictate your approach.