How many Full PTs / BRs do you typically do in a week?

mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
in General 757 karma

Hi everyone,

I am finishing up the CC soon and will begin taking full PTs with BR shortly after. What is everyone's schedule for taking full PTs / BR? Do you take a full, proctored PT on one day and then fully complete BR on the next? Do you begin BR on the same day you finish a full PT? Basically, I am asking how long it takes a person to both take a full PT and do BR to the point of full understanding. I know it will be different for everyone based on skill level and mental endurance. I am asking to get a rough idea of how many practice tests I can get through in a week. I plan on taking the September 2018 LSAT and will only have 2 months and 17 days (most of which is full time study) to take full PTs / BR. Of course, I will push back my test date until November if my desired score does not follow. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I took two PTs essentially every Saturday over last summer and also through in one or two more sometime over the week. I was always able to finish my blind review the day of. Thus was because I really wanted to know how I had scored as soon as possible. It was also easier to blind review for me since I was scoring in the 170s and had less places where I was uncertain. Nonetheless, it usually took me somewhere between as long as the test took and twice the length of the test to blind review.

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" Nice, thanks for the input! Two PTs a day is a lot for one day, but if you were in the 170s already you likely didn't have that much to BR. I am going to shoot for 3/4 PTs a week and see where that takes me. How many months did you spend doing PTs / BR before you took the LSAT and did you burn through every possible PT?

• 439 karma

Working full time I can only manage about 2 a week. One Sunday morning and one Wednesday night with BR in between.

757 karma

@"gerth.brooks" Right, I am in the same situation right now. I work full time and often don't want to do a full PT after a full day of work, mostly due to the fact that it would not reflect my true skills. Weekends are PT days, until I start full time study.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited May 2018 4423 karma

@mjmonte17 said:
    @"Seeking Perfection" Nice, thanks for the input! Two PTs a day is a lot for one day, but if you were in the 170s already you likely didn't have that much to BR. I am going to shoot for 3/4 PTs a week and see where that takes me. How many months did you spend doing PTs / BR before you took the LSAT and did you burn through every possible PT?

I did just under three months of mainly PTing after I finished foolproofing games.

I deliberately burned through all but two PTs. I would say to do a maximum of the three and maybe two if you are not going to do two in one day.

You want to have enough time to drill on whichever question types are bothering you inbetween PTs.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

The general advice around here is 1 per week is all you really need, as far as full, timed PTs go. 2 is the very max I recommend, and probably only if you are studying full time.

The reasoning is that the PT is really just a tool to gauge your progress and build some endurance for test day. Between PTs is when most of your learning happens. BR is very important and you need to not rush it. That is how you learn from your mistakes. Once you finish BR, you should be looking at what your weaknesses are and doing some drilling on those. Timed sections are a useful tool, but so is studying by question type or game type. You need to be assessing your skills and targeting your learning. If you are constantly doing PTs and BR, it's not always that efficient.

For me while I was working full time and studying, my schedule looked like Monday - Friday drilling and timed sections (with 1 weeknight per week not studying to recharge), Saturday PT and Sunday BR.

Sure, you don't cover as much ground in PTs. Admittedly, compared to many, I haven't taken that many PTs. But that is not the only way you learn, and I would argue it's not even the best way to learn. PTs were just a way to track my progress and identify weaknesses. It's the Sun-Friday studying when I was actually improving. Saturday PTs were just a mile marker.

757 karma

@"Leah M B" Wow, great advice! I agree that PTs are just a mile marker and real learning comes through BR / drilling specific game types. Thanks for the input! I will consider your recommendations!