Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any tips and tricks for PSA qs?

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
edited May 2018 in Logical Reasoning 3652 karma

I dont have any specific analysis as to what my confusion with PSAs are. I dont really have a trend of getting a lot of them wrong but I think I could do better. I'm going back through the PSA section in the CC and I take too long on each question. I dont have a specific method for going about it. I'm trying to find the gap in the argument, but then I get confused by the ACs not being phrased quite the same as the stim. I think that, when treating the question like an SA doesnt work, I spend too much time trying to piece each AC into the stim. to see how it fits instead of honing in on the right answer. I cant really answer these off intuition and not quite from logic either so not sure what route to take.

Comments

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    edited May 2018 6045 karma

This may not be a particularly helpful answer but it might be lack of familiarity. If it's a timing thing then it could be underconfidence stemming from lack of exposure. I know that there are q-types I spend too much time on and it's because as the difficulty goes up, I'm less confident. But drilling and BR helps build that process.

Also sometimes they start the conditional in the question stem and that always throws me off. Especially because sometimes they'll start it as the contrapositive and it's just extra steps to take!

Maybe try treating PSA as principle question and see if that helps. They're similar in the sense that it's more general conditional statements instead of more specific conditional statements.

Hopefully someone else might be able to give better tips!

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    455 karma

PSAs are my biggest LR struggle as well. One thing that helps me is to pause a little after every answer choice and think about what it really means and what the implications are, because I find that especially with the harder ones you have to make some mental connections that aren't apparent on the surface. I know that's kind of vague, but hopefully it's a little bit helpful. I'm by no means great at PSA so take it for what you will haha. But I often find myself not liking any of the ACs at all and this helps me to focus in on the right one a little more often.