PT77.S2.Q16 - Some people see no harm

stormstorm Member
edited May 2018 in General 261 karma

Hi, everyone!

I need some help going through questions 16 and 18 of PT 77, Sec 2.

Admin edit: Please review the forum rules. "4. Do not post LSAT questions, any copyrighted content, or links to content that infringe on copyright. "

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-77-section-2-question-16/

A. deleted
Def not - this is not about whether someone should or should not, it is about whether something is or is not harmful

B. deleted
So, I know this is the answer. But I am confused on how.... How do we know that an individual is interfering? Without having the information that "everyone either pursues folk remedies or conventional treatments" then couldn't someone who is promoting a folk remedy actually just be causing someone who would otherwise seek no remedy to at least be doing something about their health? I feel like there is a gap in this answer and I can't push myself to buy into the 'interfere' portion of this... Please help.

C. deleted
Honesty is not relevant to this case

D. deleted
responsibility is not relevant to this case

E. deleted
-again, responsibility is not important here

Perhaps this is one where I'm overly caught up on semantics and should just let it be and recognize that the other ACs clearly are not correct. However, under timed conditions, I kept feeling like a different AC must have been right given the assumption that came with the word 'interfere'.

Thoughts?

Admin note: edited title

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited May 2018 2531 karma

An assumption made in this argument is that those who use "folk remedies" do so in lieu of seeking effective treatment. B fills the gap because it elaborates on the fundamental principle that is at play in the argument: whatever gets in the way of proper treatment is bad. Without this principle, we can't make the point that "folk remedies" that fail to treat a condition are actually worse for someone than good treatment.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma
    • People are convinced to use a folk remedy instead of using effective remedy.

• Promoting a folk remedy is harmful

It is strongly implied that because of the promotion of a folk remedy many people are convinced to use an ineffective remedy instead of effective remedy.

I know (B) doesn't perfectly bridge the gap, but I think that's why this is PSA.