PT75.S3.Q23 - Amateur gardeners who plant based on

bravesfan111111bravesfan111111 Alum Member
edited June 2018 in Logical Reasoning 39 karma

In this necessary assumption question, gardeners who plant according to the phases of the moon despite the fact that the phases of the moon do not affect how well plants grow. We are then told that gardeners who plant during the first warm spell of the spring have problems when frost follows, so we are better off planting according to the phases of the moon. The correct answer for the necessary assumption is that using the phases of the moon tends to lead gardeners to plant later in the spring than those who plant at the first warm spell. I question why this is a necessary assumption, as we are not told anything to indicate that planting, must take place during the spring. If we are to negate that supposed necessary assumption the argument is not destroyed, as planting could take place during the summer. In other words, I believe that the necessary assumption is actually that planting according to the phases of the moon leads one to plant at a time when the crops will not be damaged by the frost after the first warm spell, not that the planting takes place during any specific season. Thank you in advance for your help.

Admin note: edited title
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-75-section-3-question-23/

Comments

• ViciousBanditViciousBandit Alum Member
    14 karma

The conclusion of the of the argument only says that you are LESS LIKELY to lose plants to a frost if you plant according to the phases of the moon. The answer you suggested would be a sufficient assumption but not necessary.

• bravesfan111111bravesfan111111 Alum Member
    39 karma

Thank you for your response, but why do the words "less likely" make the correct answer a necessary assumption?

• alumivacuialumivacui Alum Member
    212 karma

Identify the conclusion first. . . from there you need to ask yourself . . . What am I assuming for the conclusion to make sense. In this case we are talking about planting in spring... "Amateur gardeners who use the phases of the moon are less likely to lose plants to frost" ... Why? Well I'm assuming that they plant later. . . Why am I assuming this? As time progresses it warms up and we are less likely to experience frost.

I do not know anything about the phases of the moon. So I asked myself why they get better results. Early spring comes with Frost... later spring... does not? Sure, yeah.