Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would I be considered an URM?

AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
edited June 2018 in General 786 karma

I recently found out about the URM status and I was curious whether or not I qualify. I come from a mixed background (S/O to the mixed kids out there) where my father is Chinese Jamaican and my mother is from Thailand.

• Would be super cool if I met someone out there who feels the struggle of deciding my favorite food based on these options!!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma
  • FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

My hunch is that a large part (if not all) of it depends on how "Jamaican" your father is (Asians are by no means underrepresented; I don't think we see that many Thai folks in law schools, but that's how things are). Were his parents Chinese?

And since you mentioned it, Thailand has some quality food. I have no idea how Americanized the Thai food I had were, but Thai fried rice can be quite rich and lovely.

• AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
    edited June 2018 786 karma

@tringo335 Thank you!
    @FixedDice Yeah I was looking into it and some things were kinda gray so I figured I asked. His mom is from China and his dad was also Chinese Jamaican. Both my dad and grandpa were born and raised in Jamaica. And omg yes it really is! The key to finding an authentic Thai place is simple.... look if they have pictures of the King of Thailand on the wall. No joke. That always gives it away!

• 534 karma

It seems like it’d be a stretch and when you have your interview and/or anyone from the school looks into it, it may come across as dishonest.

• AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
    786 karma

@"Michaela.Pratt1" Thank you for your reply! Just curious, not sure how all of this worked until last night.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@"Michaela.Pratt1" said:
    It seems like it’d be a stretch and when you have your interview and/or anyone from the school looks into it, it may come across as dishonest.

I agree ... if you were to mark it and then show up for an interview it probably would seem like you were coming across as dishonest. :(