Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cookie cutters in RC passages, right AC and wrong AC

youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member

Does anyone have any advice/comments on RC cookie cutters? Would love to start a discussion on the various cookie cutters on passages, right AC's, wrong AC's, etc.

Some I can think off the top of my head is cookie cutter wrong AC's are often way toooo strong, the phenomenon/hypothesis in science passages, etc. Thanks!

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

MP RC questions almost always have an answer that is a main point of one the paragraphs vs the entire passage.

• EmmetropicEmmetropic Free Trial Member
    164 karma

Many RC trap answers tease the version of the answer the author intends. For example, the author may believe that we have a poor understanding of how to deal with global warming. A trap answer may say that we don't understand how our industrial emissions work.

It's super tempting to say that our poor understanding may come from how we deal with industrial emissions, but that would be out of scope. I think this temptation comes from the fact that the two concepts are so closely linked in real life.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

So idk if these qualify, but I wish someone told me these things when I first started to study!

In any LR "parallel" question, if the topic is mirrored in an answer choice, I skip it and read it last. 9/10 times, the mirrored topic answer is the wrong answer. Actually, I think I've only seen one question where the answer topic was very close to the topic in the question.

Whenever I identify a question as "NA", in my head I say, "Weak A". Idk how that happened and it doesn't really make sense haha (maybe Weak Answer?) but weak answers are somewhat cookie-cutter for NA questions. You'll likely get two weak answer choices for a question and just choose between them.

Assumption answer choices like to include things that are clearly stated in the question. If the answer is nearly semantically identical, that's probably not it. You already knew that information.

Lastly, don't forget about this!
    https://7sage.com/lesson/19-common-argument-flaws/