Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retaking the LSAT (First Attempt 1 Year Ago)

William DoolittleWilliam Doolittle Alum Member
in General 29 karma

Hey Everyone,

I took the LSAT last June and scored a 165 by studying with 7sage. My initial plan was to wait one year, and then apply for a few Canadian law schools.
However, I'm now interested in applying for NYU, Columbia, or Chicago and want to raise my score to 170. Ideally, I'd like to rewrite the LSAT in September.
Does anyone have any tips about:

1) Rewriting the LSAT in general; and,
2) Studying for the LSAT after taking an extended break from studying (e.g. 1 year)

Thanks!

Comments

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Initially I planned on taking it about a year ago - started in July then come September I had some things come up and then later s job (wasn’t studying ) . By the time it was jan 2018 I decided I needed to get back into it . Mind you the 1st time I barely scraped through cc . I think some of it will come back to you - some it might not ;point increase is very reasonable since you already scored 165 the first time you wrote the lsat . For me the biggest thing was discipline and motivation; focus on why you want to go to law school. Make sure to figure out which pts you’re going to be using and how. All the best

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I went through this process three times. The first thing I did was take a PT. Then I would compare it to where I was before and then make a roadmap from there. What are my new strengths and weaknesses? Often times, especially where I was returning from an extended break, I would go back through the curriculum. I can't stress this enough. While it may seem like you are moving backwards, you need to take a step back before moving forward. Otherwise, your progression will be much slower.

Don't put a deadline on your future. It took me a while to get to where I am but now I couldn't be happier. If you are not ready, then don't take.

Most importantly, since you are rewriting, focus on the actual test itself. Remember what it was like for you to be in the testing center. Map out the worst case scenario, best case scenario, and most likely scenario. This will allow you to mentally prepare for anything.