Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using an iPad for some PT's

Dillon PGDillon PG Alum Member
edited November 2014 in General 140 karma
Hello,
I've got a lot of prep tests to take still and I have printed out many already. How bad would it be if I saved a couple trees and took the test by just using the PDF on my iPad? I've already done more than a few practice sections like this, but not full tests. I feel like as long as I practice with a couple real printed out tests here and there I'll be fine.

I'm interested in opinions. :)

Thanks,
DG

Comments

• Sully8725Sully8725 Alum Member
    146 karma
    Personally... I am keeping the forestry industry in business. But I do recycle :)
    I prefer paper for 2 reasons:
    1. Authenticity to test day. Flip the pages, have the material in front of you, no scrap paper, no extra room and the circling for the effectiveness of my blind review
    2. I like crossing off, taking notes and margin writing.
    I think paper is a better bet, but if you feel that it won't hinder you on test day and don't mind staring at your iPad, then I can't see why it is a terrible idea.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited November 2014 2654 karma
    @Sully8725 for #2 you presume, without justification, that he can't write on his iPad to cross off or make notes ;P
    but yeah I would say it depends. Are you taking it in Dec? then I would say shoot for more test-day feel. Are you shooting for Feb+? than it shouldn't really hurt you to start off on the iPad
  • lsathopefullsathopeful Alum Member
    263 karma
    Ehh, the more you keep it similar to test day conditions, the better. You're building skills right now, as well as habit, so it's to your advantage to stay as true to test-day conditions as possible. I understand not wanting to print out tests - trust me - but I really wouldn't risk having any extra factor affecting my score, and how you take the test (computer vs paper) is going to make a difference imo.

Good luck either way!
  • Dillon PGDillon PG Alum Member
    140 karma
    I'm mixing it up. It's not too odd to take a test with an iPad, but I'll be sure to do plenty more with good old paper print outs.

btw, it is harder with the ipad since I don't physically cross off the answer choices I eliminate.
  • mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    edited November 2014 368 karma
    I did many tests using kindle. To this day, I still regret it. If I could do it again, I would print everything out on paper. In this way, you would foster good habits early on. Marking on paper is a skill that one can learn to their advantage.
  • Dillon PGDillon PG Alum Member
    140 karma
    I agree it is ideal to take it on paper. I just took 2 tests on the ipad and then the next day took it on paper. It just felt a lot easier to mark off right on the test.

But the previous 2 days I had no access to a printer so the iPad was a good alternative. So yes, I am going to try to take the remainder on paper if I can. I think the ipad, even with retina, was causing me eyestrain and headaches.
  • kraft.phillipkraft.phillip Free Trial Member Inactive Sage
    444 karma
    I you can cross off the answer choices and make notes with a stylus or something for RC and LG, I don't see how it would be much different. The only difference I see is that you'd presumably only be looking at one page at a time, which will matter for RC and the modern LGs.
  • EmergingAttorney180EmergingAttorney180 Alum Member
    133 karma
    I'm going to go with what seems to be the consensus here. If you're going to invest the many necessary hours into taking a test and blind reviewing, it makes sense to replicate test conditions as well as possible by using pen and paper.

That being said, if you are in a bind where you don't have access to a paper version of the test and need to get work done, I'd take the test on an iPad 10 times out of 10.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    I tried doing LG on my tablet during my free time and it was just too hard! That darn stylus was just pissing me off! Anyway, I think if you're only doing it when you have a few extra minutes just to squeeze in some prep I say go for, why not? I def don't think you should omit paper though.