Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Strongly Supported vs. Must Be True

Harry_PluxenHarry_Pluxen Alum Member
edited November 2014 in Logical Reasoning 42 karma
Hi,

Can someone please explain the difference between these two question types? I find that there is a significant amount of overlap in the content of answer choices and it is hard to distinguish. Is a MSS question asking for something that is just most likely to be true based on the stimulus? On the other hand, does a MBT have to be true 100% of the time no matter what based on the information in the stimulus? Before coming to 7 sage, I previously used powerscore to self-study and they group both question types together under one umbrella.

Can someone clarify the difference? To me it seems like a MSS is more like a Could be true question from the LG, whereas MBT is always true.

Thanks

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    your last statement is pretty solid lol to put it simply MBT, well, Must be true... like it has to... no matter what, based on the stimulus. IDK if u have anymore than the free account but the basic example JY uses is with Jedi, but cuz of ur name i will change it a lil :P so lets say "All wizards use wands" "Harry is a wizard" so I bet your already thinking, "well hey, Harry MUST use a wand right? he's a wizard and ALL wizards use wands... so thats gotta be true, it just has to" and well look at that, your absolutely right. Based on the information it must be true that Harry uses a wand. MSS is a little different. its not so definite. again, "All wizards use wands" "Harry is a wizard" and "Most wand wielders fight Voldemort" What is most strongly supported?
    A) Harry fights Voldemort
    B) Voldemort is a wizard
    C) Voldemort uses a wand
    well A right? we see nothing about Voldemort being a wizard or using a wand. Does our info tell us that Harry fights Voldemort? Not exactly, but hey he could right? He is a wizard, so he uses a want, and most wand wielders fight Voldemort so maybe Harry does.. yeah maybe he's part of the some that doesn't fight, but were not looking for a definite, unarguable statement, just something that is supported.
    (disclaimer: I realize my MSS answer choices are not the best and may not lead to the best example but I hope it helps at least grasp the difference)
  • Harry_PluxenHarry_Pluxen Alum Member
    42 karma
    Thats a good explanation, thanks! I have the 7 sage ultimate package so I'm familiar with the argument type you are referring to with the jedi & force. What was confusing to me was the Powerscore & some other companies often group MSS and MBT together as "inference question" types. But this clear it up.

Thanks again.