Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For RC, does "spending time upfront" mean read for details as well as structure?

youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
edited July 2018 in Reading Comprehension 1755 karma

hey all

so i just spent 5 minutes on a RC passage on a recent RC section. i found myself once rereading the 1st paragraph like 4 times...

I know most ppl say "read for structure."

but i also hear J.Y. say spend time upfront in really understanding the passage and also to "push back" as you read (seeing how what you read connects to the previous paragraphs). i also see him rereading certain parts of the passage a lot.

so how do you balance really understanding the passage and spending time up front -- while also not spending TOO long? when do you make the decision to stop rereading something (where you reread something a few times in an effort to "spend time upfront") and just move on -- even though you don't have a full grasp of what you just read?

--

how do you balance btw reading for details and reading for structure?

--

In JY's RC live commentary takes, I see him rereading certain parts of the passage quite frequently. I think the problem for me, is that I've been rereading certain parts too many times -- and it's been slowing me down (that's why i spent 5 minutes on 1 passage).

Any advice for this?

should i just keep reading on -- even if i have a hazy understanding of what's going on???

also , does "spending time upfront" mean read for details as well as structure?

sorry for the disorganization!

Comments

• Will DearbornWill Dearborn Alum Member
    218 karma

Reading for structure is #1. You can follow JY's advice of doing a low resolution summary after every paragraph just for practice. If your understanding of the passage is hampering your ability to read for structure then you need to work on your particular reading issues. For many passages it isn't really possible to 100% know what's going on right away, if at all. You kind of have to get used to that uncertainty with the caveat that you at least understand the structure, identify the main point, the relation of the paragraphs with each other, etc. Some RC passages don't reveal their main point until the middle or towards the end, for example.

If you're just starting, follow JY's advice of reading for structure and doing low resolution summaries of the paragraphs. If you don't want to do low resolution summaries, I suggest you have a read of Mike Kim's LSAT trainer. JY and Kim's lessons compliment each other well. Finally, you have to do what works for YOU, drill RC and drill it hard. With the proper fundamentals (JY's lessons), expose yourself to as many RCs as possible (with the proper fundamentals, I want to stress this), practice practice, practice. Make sure you do proper BR too, which involves supporting each answer choice with where it's supported in the passage.

• Will DearbornWill Dearborn Alum Member
    218 karma

Also, for your last question "should i just keep reading on -- even if i have a hazy understanding of what's going on???"

Try it, keep reading and see what happens. You might surprise yourself how much you understand or through reading the questions, you will figure out the elements that you should have paid attention to in the first place. Trial and error.

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    1755 karma

@Patroclus thank you!