Reading Comprehension MSS/Inference

glaezzoglaezzo Free Trial Member

Does anyone else have difficulty with the mss/inference questions on reading comp? I always feel like the answer I select is never the one best supported by the text because I don’t make the correct inferences or because the answer was somewhere else in the passage.

Comments

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

MSS are probably my least favorite question types for RC. So, you're definitely not alone!

But, there's a webinar by Sage Jimmy (https://7sage.com/webinar/jimmy-rc-qt/) that helps to clarify the expectations for RC MSS that has helped me to work more confidently and efficiently through the answer choices.

What's important to realize about MSS/Inference is that the answer choice will not be explicitly stated (otherwise, it wouldn't be inferred). So, where this leads us is the realization that its VERY important to have a good understanding of the logical reasoning that's being employed by the various speakers in the passage. For instance, if the passage notes that a "group of critics" dislikes a particular work of fiction, an inference question might ask you to choose a choice that describes a piece of fiction that the critics would likely endorse. So, what's critical for answering such a question is honing in on the reasoning of the critics (the "What?" and "Why"), allowing you to choose a work that they might like. If they didn't like a piece of historical fictions because none of the characters were actual historical figures, then we could infer that they would be more supportive of a piece of historical fiction that included actual historical figures.

It's your ability to follow reasoning and make inferences such as these that are tested by MSS questions. Hope that helps!