Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I apply with the GRE or study for LSAT glory?

SoundthelazSoundthelaz Member
in General 7 karma

Hey all,

So I was an acting major in college, completely new to binge study sessions like the ones you need for the GRE and LSAT, however, I studied for around four months and got a 158- Verbal and 154- Q for GRE. Math was my worst subject, so passing the 50th percentile mark was cathartic for me. As I've been studying English and classical texts for the majority of my life, I never really focused on improving that score, since it was already fairly high percentile-wise.

This, now, brings me to the LSAT. If I converted the GRE to the LSAT on ETS' little calculator, I get a score of 161. Now, from what I've been reading, that's a reasonably good score, and qualifies as the mean score for several of the t-35 schools. My GPA was a 3.4 (because acting, amirite?) and I wanted to get anybody's thoughts on whether or not I should study for the LSAT and improve in that regard, or just apply using my GRE score, if 161 would be too high to attain on my own. I haven't done a diagnostic test, but I'm worried that I'll have to study for another four months for the November LSAT or further just to attain a score that's pretty close to the 161 equivalent GRE exam that I took. Thoughts?

Also, If I'm in that range already, which schools seem reasonable to apply for and which would seem like stretch goals? There's so much noise about how to about this fresh, it's making a newbie like myself a bit hesitant in taking a step in any direction.

Personal experiences welcome, brag about it, let me know what you went through!

Best,
Michael

Comments

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

Hi there! I’ve had a similar question for a while: I’m a bio major and I think GRE would be substantially easier for me than LSAT and math wasn’t a problem. But honestly seems like the consensus is that using the GRE is a pretty bad idea ( I’ve asked ppl from friends to previous admission ppl) and for you especially( sorry to say this). In general not a lot of schools are taking the GRE, and they don’t report the scores; so they might put more weight on your GPA. Schools are also using GRE to recruit STEM applicants and other previously inaccessible population so applying with GRE as a humanities major might not reflect well on you. And once you take the LSAT you have to report it, so I guess you might as well just forget about GRE LOL... Anyway so I ultimately took the LSAT and will be applying with that only. Hope this helps!

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I would also say LSAT. The GRE is still somewhat of a pilot program and it is unclear what score you need in order to gain admission. Further, for example, it seems as though nearly everyone who got into Harvard using GRE only had perfect or nearly perfect scores.

• SoundthelazSoundthelaz Member
    7 karma

Thanks for the responses guys! I figured I'd ask because I've read on a few forums of people being admitted to G-town with my scores, but I just took my diagnostic and I already beat the 161 (lol) with a 163 (LOL). Guess I'mma keep studyin', so onwards and upwards!