Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lawgic help

ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member

Hey everyone- what advice would you give to someone that is struggling to grasp conditional logic in a fast mechanistic way (what we need on the lsat) . I’m thinking of grabbing all the indicators and writing them out onto a sheet (I’ve written out notes on valid / in valid forms ) but it didn’t click. Review the cc ?

Comments

• nmmizokaminmmizokami Alum Member
    128 karma

If you're struggling to ID the words when they first appear then flashcards may be useful.

If you're struggling understanding necessity vs sufficiency then practicing LR and LG may be the way to go. Diagram and try to understand on an intuitive level every conditional relationship you see.

I wouldn't get caught up in mastering conditional language right away. For me, understanding necessity and sufficiency developed over time. I struggled with the ideas for some time but constant exposure to the material improved my intuitive understanding. Personally, I would recommend not dwelling on the issue. I'd review the material and then move on, only going back to the lessons when other issues arise.

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

@ebalde1234 : Have you already foolproofed a large number of games? I found that the repetition of foolproofing helped to make the reasoning more intuitive/mechanistic. While it is more challenging to recognize those patterns in LR, it certainly provides an effective way to gain a grasp of the concept. Hope it helps!

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

@"paulmv.benthem" said:
    @ebalde1234 : Have you already foolproofed a large number of games? I found that the repetition of foolproofing helped to make the reasoning more intuitive/mechanistic. While it is more challenging to recognize those patterns in LR, it certainly provides an effective way to gain a grasp of the concept. Hope it helps!

I’m just starting to get a handle on lg slowly but surely . I always thought it was get lr then do lg ? Like how it’s set in the cc. I’ll probably make a big chart of indicators and their lawgic translations

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

Even though the CC is arranged in that way, I think once you're finished the CC it's helpful to adjust your preparation to you weaknesses.

So, if I was in your shoes, I'd ask myself a fundamental questions, Even if I can't do it quickly, am I confident about what is prescribed by various conditional statements, including what they allow and preclude. An example from LG: if you're given the statement, "If P is chosen, F is not chosen." This translates logically into P --> /F. What's important to realize is that entailed in this statement is three acceptable possibilities, P & /F, F & /P, /P and /F. Being aware of this as you're working through LR and LG will help significantly with confidently setting up the game board or diagramming the more complicated stimuli. So, that dimension of your prep pertains to you being able to confidently understand what is being prescribed in conditional relationships. Once you have these fundamentals down, you want to ask yourself then you want to begin working on speed, which comes from intuitively and confidently implementing your knowledge of the fundamentals.

For building speed, making a list of flashcards with indicators on one side and their logical translations on the other has been helpful for me. With the flashcards, you're building associations between particular English terms and their logical consequences. So, this helps in two ways: (1) you're able to more efficiently diagram the question (No, "Hmmm"ing over those "unless" statements), and (2) you increase your brains speed at recognizing those terms. You're brain sees an "if," "unless," "no," etc., and it stands out because you intuitively recognize the term as signaling something relevant.

Hope that helps!

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

@"paulmv.benthem" said:
    Even though the CC is arranged in that way, I think once you're finished the CC it's helpful to adjust your preparation to you weaknesses.

So, if I was in your shoes, I'd ask myself a fundamental questions, Even if I can't do it quickly, am I confident about what is prescribed by various conditional statements, including what they allow and preclude. An example from LG: if you're given the statement, "If P is chosen, F is not chosen." This translates logically into P --> /F. What's important to realize is that entailed in this statement is three acceptable possibilities, P & /F, F & /P, /P and /F. Being aware of this as you're working through LR and LG will help significantly with confidently setting up the game board or diagramming the more complicated stimuli. So, that dimension of your prep pertains to you being able to confidently understand what is being prescribed in conditional relationships. Once you have these fundamentals down, you want to ask yourself then you want to begin working on speed, which comes from intuitively and confidently implementing your knowledge of the fundamentals.

For building speed, making a list of flashcards with indicators on one side and their logical translations on the other has been helpful for me. With the flashcards, you're building associations between particular English terms and their logical consequences. So, this helps in two ways: (1) you're able to more efficiently diagram the question (No, "Hmmm"ing over those "unless" statements), and (2) you increase your brains speed at recognizing those terms. You're brain sees an "if," "unless," "no," etc., and it stands out because you intuitively recognize the term as signaling something relevant.

Hope that helps!

Thank you as always your advice is on point