Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

just took my first post-CC PT...

cvaldez74cvaldez74 Member
edited July 2018 in General 130 karma

and I bombed it. I'm not shocked because I knew when I finished LR and LG that I wasn't solid in my understanding of the methods, rules, etc.

so, now that I know for certain that I can crush the RC section (it's always been a strong suit - I'm an avid reader) but I need serious help in the LR and LG sections, how should I proceed with studying? re-watch the videos? drilling both? flash cards? I'm taking the September test so I have a little less than two months to improve in these areas.

(I should add that I have not done BR yet - I have no idea what questions I got right or wrong, I just looked at the overall score and which sections I need the most help in. I will do BR tomorrow or Monday - my test questions are all circled and ready for it.)

Comments

• Gunningfor121Gunningfor121 Alum Member
    517 karma

So I definitely think it is important to make sure you understand the fundamentals in the CC. If you know for sure that there are core concepts you aren't clear on, I would suggest you go ahead and review those things before PTing more.

However, don't get discouraged by this! The truth is, most of the improvement comes not just from learning the CC but from learning to apply it through PTs and BR. Learning the information is one thing, but it is still just learning. It is theoretical. Applying that information isn't something that can be immediately done at maximum efficiency, so you'll need to spend time going through the PTs to see improvement. After all, if we were expected to do perfectly after going through the CC once, what's the point of BR?!

You'll be fine. Go ahead and BR this PT you just took and figure out exactly what it is that you fundamentally don't understand. Then go back and review those things in the CC and attack the next PT. This is how you improve your score. Good luck!

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

How far off of your goals are you? What were your sectional scores? Are you willing to consider another test date if September doesn't go as planned?

• cvaldez74cvaldez74 Member
    130 karma

@10000019 said:
    How far off of your goals are you? What were your sectional scores? Are you willing to consider another test date if September doesn't go as planned?

I didn't save my scores - I was worried if I did that I'd look at them and focus on the questions I got wrong instead of doing BR the way it's meant to be done. my worst section was LG, which I knew right away would be a problem as I was working on it because I couldn't figure out how to set up the games correctly, plus I ran out of time and literally Christmas-treed an entire game and a half worth of questions. LR was troublesome but I felt relatively confident in my answers in the first LR section, though not so much in the second section.

my diagnostic was 150; my PT today was 143; my goal is 160. I'm taking the September test but am ok with taking the November test as a back up if my score is bad.

for LR, I think where I get tripped up is figuring out how to properly apply lawgic to the LR questions. for LG, it's all about setting up the games correctly.

edited July 2018 3279 karma

@cvaldez74 said:

@10000019 said:

I didn't save my scores - I was worried if I did that I'd look at them and focus on the questions I got wrong instead of doing BR the way it's meant to be done. my worst section was LG, which I knew right away would be a problem as I was working on it because I couldn't figure out how to set up the games correctly, plus I ran out of time and literally Christmas-treed an entire game and a half worth of questions. LR was troublesome but I felt relatively confident in my answers in the first LR section, though not so much in the second section.

my diagnostic was 150; my PT today was 143; my goal is 160. I'm taking the September test but am ok with taking the November test as a back up if my score is bad.

for LR, I think where I get tripped up is figuring out how to properly apply lawgic to the LR questions. for LG, it's all about setting up the games correctly.

Enter your answer choices into the analytics on 7sage. Then post the data you get from that. 2 months isn't that much time. I want to be able to give you specific advice. Also when you give that information, please share what PT you took. Lastly, how many hours a week can you commit for these last 2 months?

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 1184 karma

Please don’t be discouraged . It takes time to be able to quickly apply the fundamentals while taking PTs. I would say your best bet to a 160 is to foolproof games . LG is the most learnable section and can really bump your score . I used to hesitate during LG but after foolproofing , I kind of go on autoplane mode except for the occasional tricky game. I would also suggest you check out the post CC webinar . I have been using this as a guide and it has helped me immensely. Essentially you do a PT with strict BR, drill your weakenesses, then take another PT. I would highly suggest taking time to foolproof before you PT for sure though. If you feel comfortable with RC, that is great . Many people find that to be the most difficult section . With some drilling and foolproofing, a 160 is definitely doable.

130 karma

@10000019 said:

Enter your answer choices into the analytics on 7sage. Then post the data you get from that. 2 months isn't that much time. I want to be able to give you specific advice. Also when you give that information, please share what PT you took. Lastly, how many hours a week can you commit for these last 2 months?

PT 37
    LR -10 (16/26 right)
    LR -17 (8/25 right)
    LG -15 (9/24 right)
    RC -13 (13/26 right)

I can easily commit 6 hours Mon-Fri and up to 8 hours Sat-Sun.

3279 karma

@cvaldez74 said:

@10000019 said:

PT 37
    LR -10 (16/26 right)
    LR -17 (8/25 right)
    LG -15 (9/24 right)
    RC -13 (13/26 right)

I can easily commit 6 hours Mon-Fri and up to 8 hours Sat-Sun.

For a 160 you can get roughly 26 questions wrong. Right now you sectional scores are weak (including your reading score). For that reason, I don't think you should be in a rush to take PTs. I also think getting to a 160 by September will be challenging, but don't consider withdrawing until it gets closer to the exam.

And you dropped from a 150 to a 143. What do you think went differently with this exam? Did you move slower through the exam?

Just going to shotgun some advice:
    1. Keep practicing the LG. Until you make some strides in LG, if you decide to do a full section of games, don't pressure yourself to attempt all the games. I would consider skimming the games first, and going after 2 games.
    2. Spend a bit of time on the RC. I've heard this is a hard section to improve, but with a 50% accuracy it requires your other sectional scores to be really strong.
    3. You're going to get the most points from LR. I have the same advice as LG; don't attempt all the questions in the section.

The advice that I gave would be horrible if you were aiming for a 165+. But given the time constraint and the number you can get wrong for a 160, I think going after the low hanging fruit, and guess for the more challenging problems gives you a better shot of getting to your goal by September.

Have you completed the drilling and exercises that were in the CC? I'd normally suggest focusing on PTs because the exam isn't far away, but you're getting enough wrong that I don't think chugging PTs will be beneficial.

130 karma

@10000019 said:

Have you completed the drilling and exercises that were in the CC? I'd normally suggest focusing on PTs because the exam isn't far away, but you're getting enough wrong that I don't think chugging PTs will be beneficial.

which drilling and exercises? I have not started drilling LG - I have all of them printed out, in page protectors, and ready to go and will start drilling those Monday (going out of town until then). I'm not sure what other exercises you're referring to...

• PandaRamenPandaRamen Alum Member
    162 karma

Definitely great advices here. I would BR like a madman. Do not see PTing as the goal (for now), BRing well is the goal. I definitely had to change my mindset. I read on here that BR test what you really know. By knowing what you dont know, you can have a path on which types of questions, wording etc. you either missed or get wrong.

Also, 6 hours + 8 hours LSAT study time is arduous. More power to you! but be very careful of LSAT burnout. It could really affect your performance. Try to see it as more quality than quantity study hours. Or break down your 6 hours to 2 hours per section.

I try to foolproof logic games since, based on statistics, its the section you can mostly improve on. Also, I would jump around different PT because they differ slightly which could throw you off. You got this!

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Don’t put in too many hours you have sept and nov and whatever comes after . Lsat studying is not like under grad studying . Try to keep it balanced (I’m telling you from my own personal mistakes ) . Also pt scores can go up and down . It happens . Br this test and look at your weaknesses , make sure to use the pt analytics. You want to review the fundamentals. After that you can take more pts you want to move to understanding the material , applying it untimed , applying it timed.

3279 karma

@cvaldez74 said:

@10000019 said:

which drilling and exercises? I have not started drilling LG - I have all of them printed out, in page protectors, and ready to go and will start drilling those Monday (going out of town until then). I'm not sure what other exercises you're referring to...

I think there are problem sets for different question types (e.g. Weakening question). If you haven't started those, I think you should.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@cvaldez74 said:

@10000019 said:

There are question sets after every lesson in the CC. I think that is what he is referring to. There are also drills for LR and LG at the end of the CC (right after Reading Comp).

One caution about drilling LG - I used the sheet protectors too and loved it b/c I was saving paper. However, after awhile I switched over to pencil and paper and I felt there was a difference in how I was doing LG. You may at some point want to switch and get used to pencil and paper b/c there is a difference in how you write, whether you erase, etc.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

Yo! Your issue is that you are going too fast. Stop timing yourself now! First things first, identify the argument's conclusion and then identify the argument's premises. Even if you only do 15 problems in 35 minutes, but get all 15 correct, it will be better than your current LR scores.

For LG, you need a lot of practice, take a simple sequencing game, practice your notation of the rules, the conditional rules, and making worlds. LG, like RC, is about doing most of the work before you get to the questions.

For RC, -13 means you are leaving half the questions incorrect. Focus on doing more of the work up front in the passage before you get to the questions. Focus on doing 3 perfect passages. RC is the hardest, the hardest, to improve on with the LSAT. LSAT RC is not like reading the newspaper, it's going to be similar to what you have to do in law school.

The bad news, you have a lot of work to do. But we have all been in the same boat of struggling after the CC, continually working on our fundamentals day in and day out. My suggestion is to re-do the CC, and take your time with it. Do the things above by focusing on doing more work up front. What is the passage doing and how does it relate to the author's view? What is the big inference on this game? Why is this argument flawed? If you can get okay with the questions, you'll be able to get to a 160.

If you run into problems, come back here, and we will help you out :smile:

130 karma

hi again :smile:

back from a much needed weekend away with the hubs, well rested and ready to jump back in...though admittedly I actually found myself kinda scared to do BR on this test because I performed so miserably the first time around.

here are the results of my BR today:

LR: 11/26 (-15 which is a -5 decrease from my original attempt; 11 of the answers I changed but got wrong during BR were correct the first time around)
    LR: 16/25 (-9 which is a +8 increase)
    LG: 21/24 (-3 which is a huge +12 increase - once I was able to figure out the game boards, it all fell into place)
    RC 17/26 (-9 which is a +4 increase)

I'm much happier with these results, obviously. however, I realize that this is just one test and isn't a significant indicator of my performance on the actual test. I clearly have some stuff to work on (LR and science-related RC questions) so I'll be drilling LR and fool proofing games. I recently got the LSAT Trainer for the RC section as I've heard it's quite helpful in conjunction with 7sage, so I'll be working with that as well.

I'm hoping that with practice comes speed because that's going to be an issue...

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

First, PLEASE do not study 7 days a week. It's amazing that you're willing and able to put in the time, but burnout is real and can hit you out of no where. If lawgic is a problem for you, that should be a top priority. Make sure you really know your conditional indicators before you work on advanced lawgic. I would put a pause on PTing until you feel comfortable with that.

130 karma

I don't study several hours a day every day - one of the commenters was asking what kind of time I have available to study and I was responding accordingly. I don't actually study that much. I do study frequently but I recognize and respect my limits (plus I like TV lol).

I'm definitely reviewing the lawgic section of the CC and will be drilling LR regularly. I have a love/hate relationship with lawgic...when I listen to JY's instructions and can see how easy it makes finding the correct answers, I love it; when I have to figure that out on my own and I haven't quite gotten the hang of it, I hate it. my brain just isn't used to thinking this way - please tell me it clicks at some point!!