Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ugh I'm too slow at PAI and strengthening questions

samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
edited July 2018 in Logical Reasoning 1777 karma

It takes me about 5.5--6.5 minutes to do a set of four PAI questions (without bubbling in the answers). So while I'm not doing terribly on time, I'd definitely like to cut 10-15 seconds on my PIA questions. Are charts a bad way to approach these questions under timed conditions? Any suggestions?

As for strengthening.. just... help.

Comments

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

i've never used a chart for these questions besides when going through the cc. i usually read the first argument, hold onto it in my head whilst reading the second and prephrase the disagreement from there and then try to find the answer choice.

if it's a really hard one and that doesn't work for me, i'll reread really quickly and try again one more time or else i'll skip the question.

i think i have a much harder time with agreement questions.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

@"lady macbeth" do you try to anticipate the answer, or do you just read through the choices and see what makes sense?

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

Re strengthening, some questions (the easier ones) are clearly leading you in the stimulus to where the gap is in the relationship. In those questions, you can see it and anticipate the answer. In the harder ones, (generally questions 15-25, but not always), it can be very tough to predict. I just always focus on the relationship between the variables, and look for any possible help in that relationship. In those hard ones, sometimes I also just try to focus on eliminating answers that are clearly wrong (i.e, they go against the argument) and see what's left. There was a super hard strengthening question somewhere in PTs 72-81 about an ancient staff found in Ireland and whether or not it was a talking stick or a weapon. It was one of those questions where I got it wrong and took a long time to understand why the right answer was right. Strengthening questions can be like that.

• stubbsbernard6stubbsbernard6 Free Trial Member
    26 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    It takes me about 5.5--6.5 minutes to do a set of four PIA questions (without bubbling in the answers). So while I'm not doing terribly on time, I'd definitely like to cut 10-15 seconds on my PIA questions. Are charts a bad way to approach these questions under timed conditions? Any suggestions?

As for strengthening.. just... help.

Hi, do you guys think they will eliminate the standardized exam requirement for law school admissions? I read in an article today that it was in circulation with thing the ABA.

1777 karma

Thanks, @Louislepauvre!

And @stubbsbernard6 I actually just commented on your post! I don't think that it's going anywhere any time soon, other than to sub it out for the GRE at some schools.

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    edited July 2018 894 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" i try to anticipate the answer choice. like, whilst i have the first speaker's argument held into my mind, i'm actively searching for a counterpoint in the second speaker. and once i see it, that's the answer choice i anticipate to circle. if i get nothing, i re read or skip the question!

1777 karma

@"lady macbeth" thanks!

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

....Sorry, I'm kinda lost. What's PIA? haha :sweat_smile: Are you guys talking about Point at Issue (Disagree) questions or Pseudo Sufficient Assumption (PSA) questions? Or is it something new? Sorry!

1777 karma

@akistotle omg I meant PAI hahaha I just edited it.