Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are my goals too irrational?

amicuslsatamicuslsat Alum Member
in General 178 karma

I'm an international LSAT taker from India; gave my first attempt in December 2017 with a 157, I'd been PT-ing in the high 160's but I also have severe anxiety and I walked out of that test not remembering anything so I knew I was going to bomb. My second attempt was in June 2018, my PT average was 175, scored a 165 on the actual test. This time I was much calmer and more collected, but had to rush to the bathroom twice during the test because I felt like I was going to throw up. I'm working on my anxiety and am confident I can do much much better next time. I plan to take the October test and score at least above 170.

I just wanted to know if giving it again is the wisest choice and if my goal score is too irrational?

It's my dream to attend Harvard Law, do you think it's worth giving another shot or have I already missed the train?

Thank you for reading, and apologies for such a longgg question. :)

Comments

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Never give up. Your goals are not irrational, as I had the same goals. I took the test three times, significantly under performed two of them, and now am attending HLS this fall. If I can do it you can too.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited July 2018 2531 karma

You have definitely not missed the proverbial train. I know that you are capable of reigning in your anxiety. What works for many of us is a change in diet, exercise, meditation and routine. In case you're doing those things already, keep it up! If you haven't implemented them yet, give 'em a try :)

• 776 karma

Keep your dreams and continue to work hard - I am confident with those score averages you can rock the test!

• Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
    346 karma

Go ahead and try it again! But either way a 165 is a very good score and is generally the 90th percentile which means you beat 90 percent of people taking the test- a self selefecting group of presumably highly intelligent and motivated students. Your goals are not irrational because you reconcile that you can repeat this upward trend one more time; if you want to go to YLS, Stanford or Harvard then this is not irrational. If you’re aiming for schools even 15-25 then maybe you are being irrational because a 165 should do.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

You didn't provide enough information about yourself to get a meaningful answer.

I'm sure you can improve your LSAT score, but I have no idea whether you have a shot at Harvard. For all I know you have a 2.0 GPA.

• amicuslsatamicuslsat Alum Member
    178 karma

Thank you @JustDoIt, @Ohnoeshalpme, @Trusttheprocess, @Nunuboy1994! I can't tell you how much reading your comments has lifted my spirits, I'm going to get back to studying hard knowing that my end is possible! For reigning in my anxiety, I'm meditating, exercising, and trying to come up with a test day routine I can replicate on the actual day (since I have to travel to another state to give my LSAT, it's a little sketchy).

@10000019 I'm an international student so my GPA doesn't count. Moreover, I did not have the GPA system in my university; but I did pass with First Class Distinction which is equivalent to passing with magna cum laude, I think. And I have a solid resume, so I hope a good LSAT score can sail me through.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I can't speak to the Harvard issue, but have you looked into therapy for the anxiety? Even as a temporary thing just to tackle one issue, therapy can be really helpful.

• momli.jmmomli.jm Free Trial Member
    17 karma

@amicuslsat Hi, just wondering why you said that GPA did not count for an international student- I am an international student as well and was of the belief that colleges did look at GPA, except that they did not convert it to the American 4 scale.