PT1.S3.Q22 - The 1980s have been characterized as

polololopolololo Alum Member
edited August 2018 in Logical Reasoning 22 karma

Can anyone explain how is the word "selfish" is used in this stimulus? I don't see the difference between the uses of the term.

Admin note: edited title (please specify which section it's from!)

Comments

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Hi! So the first sentence uses "selfish" to indicate a separation (lack of cohesion) in interests. If you were to carry this definition over to the last sentence, you'd be saying that even the smallest acts of cohesion are instances of separate interests for the human species. See how confusing that is? Just writing that out confused me. The flaw is subtle because our minds work quickly to make the passage make sense to us. You might be able to make it kind of make sense, but the other answers are just so much worse.

A is not correct because history is a very important part of the argument
    B is not correct because, while factually accurate, statistical evidence is not needed here
    C is not correct because... it's just wrong. I mean, it doesn't even say anything about the present. (Also, as a rule of thumb, never assume that these passages are written in the "present". An answer choice that mentions "presently" is typically wrong.)
    D is not correct because, while factually accurate, other species are not important to the cohesion of society.