Prep Test #43, S#3, Q#23 - Each of many different human hormones

_FIDELIO__FIDELIO_ Alum Member
edited November 2014 in Logical Reasoning 98 karma
Main Conclusion question.

Chose A, however the OA is B. Confused. Here is my reasoning...

A. Labeled this as the main conclusion. It is verbatim the opening sentence in the passage.

B. Labeled this as a premise. I read like it supported the first sentence and is introduced by the phrase "The reason for this is". To me this always signals a premise

C. Another premise and not the main conclusion

D. Labeled this as the Major Premise/Intermediate conclusion. Starts with the word "Thus" and is the last sentence of the passage (characteristic trap on the LSAT). Also this sentence I thought supported the main conclusion.

E. A twist on a stated premise that brings in outside information.

I am confused and need help deciphering between A and B. Thanks.

Comments

• carloscstllns9carloscstllns9 Alum Member
    8 karma
    Fidelio:

Here's my quick analysis as I am walking out of work. With main point questions, I always, before looking at the answer choices, ask myself "why the f*** should I care about this?!" I grew up in a household where cursing was the norm so please excuse my language. haha.

(Back to the point) As I read the stimulus, I too was quick to think that initial sentence may be the MP until I took a step back. In my mind, whenever "the reason for this" is written, I look at the context to see whether the author wanted me to know about the reason or about whatever was explained before. Here, the third sentence supports the third and the fourth supports the third. Once extrapolated, we can see that this sentence is indirectly in support of the second as well. That shows a whole bunch more of support for the second sentence than the first. The first sentence becomes part of the context, like if I said "I want to attend XYZ law school. This is because A, B, and C..." I'd want you to take away that I want to attend XYZ BECAUSE of A, B, and C, not simply that I want to attend XYZ. Consequently, it can only be inferred that what the author really wants us to take away from this is that this behavior is happening BECAUSE of some quirk in our brain.

As such, B is just a more solid answer than is A.

Like I said, this was really quick so let me know if this helps at all or if I can be of further assistance. Best of luck!