Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any book recommendations?

Silver_37Silver_37 Alum Member
in General 115 karma

Hello! :)
I usually do very poor on science passages. I think this is due to my fear of the unfamiliar subject matter. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good book that I can read in order to overcome this fear?
Or are there any books that you recommend that has helped you improve your reading skills for the LSAT in general?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• monp0485monp0485 Member
    101 karma

I don't really have a book recommendation. However, I have posed a similar question before and the best advice I have gotten to get better at RC, and science passages in particular, is to read the Scientific American! This will definitely help in getting more used to reading that kind of content.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

I second subscribing to Scientific American. They are really good at talking about a wide range of science topic - biology, physics, astronomy etc. It really helped me get familiar with these topics and the scientific method which is heavily used in RC science passages. It's not very expensive, I think I paid $34 for 12 print issues.

• Silver_37Silver_37 Alum Member
    115 karma

@monp0485 @Sami Thank you so much guys!!!:)

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

I found the LSAT trainer to be very helpful!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

I recently finished Uncertainty by David Lindley. It covers a ton of 20th century science history. It’s approachable too, goes into the controversies and rivalries among the different scientists and theories. It mostly focuses on the science that led up to discovering the properties of the atom and the development of quantum theory.

You can also pick up some pop science stuff by the celeb scientists like Carl Sagan, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Michio Kaku. Their whole thing is in making science make sense to non-scientists. For that matter, watch Cosmos—the one with Sagan is way better.

Also, subscribe to some science YouTube channels. It’s not reading, but you can benefit a lot just by being familiar with things. To name a few, I really like:

Kurzgesagt
    The Royal Institute
    SciShow
    Crash Course

• Silver_37Silver_37 Alum Member
    115 karma

@"Cant Get Right" Thank you so much!!!!!!!!! I tried watching some videos on the channels you mentioned and I love it! :)