8 Takes - too much?

therealbarackobamatherealbarackobama Free Trial Member
in General 4 karma

Scored 172 in July. I have two cancels earlier on and 6 scores that are visible. T-14 still possible?

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Yeah it’s possible, a 172 is a really strong score. They’ll want you for numbers alone. Yes, 8 takes looks bad on your application. But a 172 is enough to counter that I think. Also it will depend on your GPA and your other softs. If you have a solid GPA as well, no need to worry.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited August 2018 9377 karma

The limitation on the number of times you can take the LSAT was lifted last year, so we don't really have data yet. No one really knows how add coms see multiple takes. (Some schools say that they look at all the scores and average the scores, but available data shows it isn't the case. Most schools care about the highest score.)

But what if it's bad? You should still give it a shot!

You got a great score and you should be really proud of it! You shouldn't worry about something you can't change.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

A 172 in 8 takes is a 172. You're in the 1%.

Incredible score good job.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I think @"Leah M B" has written some good stuff about this before. Personally, I don't think that 7 takes looks any better than 8. If anything, it just speaks to your character-- that you don't settle and that you are willing to work hard for what you want.

• mynameisjeffmynameisjeff Member
    519 karma

Congrats! It's a 172!!!! you'll be fine

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Most people will agree that a 172 on the first take is better than having eight takes, but it's not like you can change it at this point. I think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you let the number of takes you've had affect the schools that you apply to. You won't know unless you apply!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Here's a blog post from Spivey about this: https://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/how-many-test-takes-is-too-many-for-law-school/

Moral of the story is, if you're trying to get into a school that demands a higher score, keep going. But if you're already at least around median and keep re-taking, it might reflect poorly. 8 takes is a lot... I think you should likely write an addendum.

Maybe @"David.Busis" has some quick advice here? The Admissions course curriculum addresses writing addenda for changes in LSAT scores, but not specifically in number of takes. We're a little bit in uncharted territory since it's only been a little over a year or so that the limit was lifted. Any words of wisdom for us?

• I would like to think that law schools would not care how many times you take the LSAT. I mean almost all of them take the highest score except Harvard/Yale. I have taken the LSAT multiple times and I'm still working on it. When I am comfortable with my score I will definitely write an addendum with my application. I mean...I'm hoping they won't care, because it is what it is and I can't take the multiple LSAT scores off my record. ahhh.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

T14 likelihood will depend to a large degree on GPA. Like Leah said above, it's hard to say how adcomms will respond to many takes.

At the end of the day, you've got a 172 and you can't erase your previous takes. Best bet is to continue as you normally would: choose your reach/target/safety schools based on your numbers and keep your fingers crossed. If you're really concerned, like I am as a splitter, apply to a bunch of schools (I will be sending 21 applications).

• edited August 2018 534 karma

8 takes???! How are you still sane

• Uncle_FesterUncle_Fester Alum Member
    45 karma

You're a warrior regardless of what the adcoms say. My 168 in July on my sixth try was good enough for me. I'm interested to hear how things go!

• Beast ModeBeast Mode Live Member
    840 karma

Congratulations!! It says a lot about your personal character!!