Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fee Waivers & Intro emails from T14

edited August 2018 in Law School Admissions 534 karma

Hi everyone! I’m curious to know if someone has ideas about what it means when you get unsolicited fee waivers or unsolicited “Greetings from x school” emails from T14/T3 schools after taking the LSAT. I’ve heard some people say it’s a good thing, some people say these schools want to bait you into applying so they can reject you and raise their ranking, and some people say you can’t read into it at all (which I don’t believe because they have to set parameters around who gets these emails and who doesn’t). Anyone have knowledge on this?

Comments

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

I seen people online who had fee waivers from T14 but were way below both medians. Personally, I think there is truth to both statements. They send it to all those with the stats they want and they send a few to others to boost their rejection #s.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

From my understanding, it's basically only based on LSAT scores, as I received fee waivers after my Sept LSAT last year, without having any other info available (such as transcripts) on LSAC.
    They do it to increase applications. For example, I got a 166 and got fee waivers from schools like UVA which have medians above that.
    Some schools like Duke promise an answer within 10 business days or something like that though, which is pretty great!

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

It’s just marketing

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    774 karma

Lol I got an email from Harvard today, and I was just like giiirrrlll stop teasing. We both know how this will turn out.

• 534 karma

@teamteamvicster said:
    Lol I got an email from Harvard today, and I was just like giiirrrlll stop teasing. We both know how this will turn out.

Me too! Trying to figure out what it means if anything haha

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Doesn't mean much. They send out those emails based on three things:
    1) GPA
    2) LSAT score
    3) If you're a member of an underrepresented group

I got fee waivers from top schools where my GPA and LSAT score were both below the 25th.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

marketing
    means nothing