InferAuthPerspective

Hi all,
I just discovered the analytics section of the grader program, and it’s very clear that I can raise my RC score by getting better at the question stems involving inferring the authors perspective.
Yet, there is nothing in the syllabus that is obviously for working on this type of RC question. As my exam is 9/8, I don’t have time to watch all the RC videos. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Danny

Comments

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Hmmm... what to do really depends on your current status is. For example, I myself had a similar problem, and to a degree, attitude/authorperspetive problems are still my weakness, but by the time I started focusing on this weakness, I was consistently -4 in RC, meaning I basically got everything else down already, and just had to add a few things to my active reading: circle words that indicate bias, and ask myself what the author feels and why he is writing this. If you aren't running out of time in your RC sections, try to add these things to your active reading. To acquire these skills, I would recommend doing a few RC passages a day and treat them as if you're really taking the LSAT, but force yourself to focus on the author's attitude and try to pay attention to the author's tone. And then read the passages once more slowly, and then watch JY's videos on how to read the passages, paying specific attention on when JY circles words that indicate bias. If you do specific, target practice like that, I feel like you'll grasp it in a day or two, honestly. Hope this helps, or hopefully someone can come and give better advice.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Nothing to add here except, I truly feel your pain. I do decently well at RC but am hot garbage at all the inferring author's perspective. I don't know why that phases me so freakin much, but it does. Arrrgghhhh. Following here in case you get some awesome tips haha.

• TraianusTraianus Member
    120 karma

Exact same issue here, I took a PT yesterday and nearly half of my missed questions came from RC. The analytics circle that represents "InferAuthorPerspective" looks like Jupiter at this point.

• dborneman1dborneman1 Alum Member
    6 karma

Thanks for the feedback guys! Traianus, I know, same! The other bubbles are tiny and white and onferauthperspective is huge and red. RC has become my weak spot after JY very successfully taught me LG. I’m scoring like -7 to -10 and I can not afford it at all it’s keeping me in the low 160s.

Bamboo sprout, thanks for the advice! One thing that is encouraging is that I am finishing with 5-7 min left every time so maybe I can just slow down. I haven’t watched JYs videos on RC cause of my LG binge and LR coming pretty naturally (thank god), but I will start. I guess just start at the beginning of the RC syllabus??

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    edited August 2018 6050 karma

Something I've started doing recently for these types of questions is sort of drilling old passages and taking random sentences and making inferences from it. I started doing this after I was honestly blown away by the genius of this one 5-star inference question.

Basically it goes something like this:
    "Mindy Kaling is an author, writer, producer, director, and actor. She is best known for her role as Kelly Kapoor in The Office"

My inference: She is less well known for her role as Mindy Lahiri in The Mindy Project.

"Despite the many contributions that Professor Wigum to particle theory, it is his contribution to string theory that has made him well-distinguished"

My inference: Professor Wigum has contributed to different theories in the field of physics.

I think the problem that people may have with these inference type of questions is that it's not necessarily that you're inferring something new. Like with logic games, you push two things together and make an inference of a hidden rule. With the more difficult RC Inference questions, it's like you're given one side of A (best known) and then asked what the other side is (less known). It's genius in how subtle it is.

Hope that helps!