PT 82 score + 7Sage PT scoring

Llama WhispererLlama Whisperer Alum Member
edited August 2018 in General 138 karma

Hi all,

Just wondering as I have seen other threads address this; how accurate are the 7sage preptest scores? I have been scoring consistently in the high 160s and when I did PT 82 I bombed it. Very shocking and scary as I am taking the September 2018 LSAT in less than 2 weeks and am scoring where I was scoring before I started studying.

That being said, I have seen other threads talking about the difficulty of PT 82, mainly the judicial candor RC passage so maybe this was a particularly tough PT???

Should I take the 7sage score as the 'real' score so to say or is it slightly lower than the official scoring chart that the official LSAC preptests give.

Thanks!

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited August 2018 10774 karma

I am not sure I completely understand how you are getting two different scores for the same test. 7sage uses the curve that LSAC used to score that test originally. The curve just comes as part of each PT the LSAC releases. So the 7sage score or any other company that also releases LSACs PT is going to be the same as LSACs.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

I don't really understand either. As @Sami says, PrepTest 83 is what the LSAC has released. 7Sage doesn't make up its own scoring and there is no such thing as "7Sage score." They are all the same.

Are you saying that you took December 2017 LSAT adminitered in North America (= PT83) and you scored differently?

• Llama WhispererLlama Whisperer Alum Member
    138 karma

Sorry for the lack of clarity!
    I have been taking PTs using the 10 actual official LSAC PT books, and at the end of each exam, the book gives a range of scores that are specific to that test. For example, some PTs the LSAC scoring allows a 180 for a score of 98/101 while some PTs the scoring chart gives 99/101 for a score of 180.

When I bought PT 83 off 7sage, I scored my exam using the 7sage platform and my scores are much lower. So I was wondering if 7Sage takes the official scoring chart from the administered exam where they got PT83 from to score the PTs, or if the scores and curve are more so generated by 7Sage users who have taken the PT using 7Sage. (Am I making any sense sorry)

Thats what I mean about scoring discrepancy and if the 7Sage scoring platform creates a tighter curve so to say.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited August 2018 10774 karma

@"Llama Whisperer" said:

When I bought PT 83 off 7sage, I scored my exam using the 7sage platform and my scores are much lower. So I was wondering if 7Sage takes the official scoring chart from the administered exam where they got PT83 from to score the PTs,

The first one. 7sage takes the official scoring chart administered by LSAC.

Thats what I mean about scoring discrepancy and if the 7Sage scoring platform creates a tighter curve so to say.

The curve is the same as the LSAC. The question difficulty that is listed on the bottom of each of the explanations for the questions is based on 7sage users but not the curve itself.

edited August 2018 9377 karma

@"Llama Whisperer" said:
    So I was wondering if 7Sage takes the official scoring chart from the administered exam where they got PT83 from to score the PTs,

Yes, 7Sage uses answer keys and a conversion chart given by the LSAC. On the page 44-45 of the document, you can see Answer Keys and Conversion Chart For Converting Raw Score to the 120–180 LSAT Scaled Score LSAT Form 8LSN127 so you should double check by yourself!

or if the scores and curve are more so generated by 7Sage users who have taken the PT using 7Sage. (Am I making any sense sorry)

Nope. I'd be outraged if 7Sage did that :sweat_smile:

• Blues CluesBlues Clues Alum Member
    edited August 2018 106 karma

If I had to guess, I'm thinking you're talking about the difficulty of the test overall. So you're suggesting because it was a hard prep test that the actual score you would receive on test day would be higher than this score and more in line with your other test scores you've been receiving on your practice tests.

But tests are scaled to their difficulty so even if you missed more than you usually do, you could get a higher score based on how the test is scaled.

https://7sage.com/lsat-score-percentile-conversion/

This link shows how each test is scaled. Generally if you look at the 170 on the chart anything above a -10 on the curve tends to be a bit more of a hard test. While a -10 tends to be about average on the difficulty scale.
    For example, if you miss -8 and get a 170, it would be a "easy" test. While if you were to take a test and miss -12 it is generally seen as a harder test.

I'm not sure if I answered your question, but maybe you or somebody else could clarify.

Edit: Looks like I was completely off. But I'll leave this in hopes that it'll help somebody else :)

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

As others said, 7sage uses the official LSAT conversion chart individual to each test. I think the bottom line is just that if you take a lot of LSATs, there’s always going to be an outlier in your scores here and there. If that’s the one with judicial candor, I tanked that one too. My weakness is RC and that section crushed me.

The only thing you do is learn to shake it off. 1 bad score doesn’t mean anything for test day. You seem like you might be stressed so I honestly think the best thing you could do for yourself is take a few days off of LSAT studying, rest and relax. Make sure not to overdo it too close to test day. You don’t want to be burned out or stressed when the day comes. Relax! it’s just one PT. :)

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

@"Llama Whisperer" uhh judicial candor was PT 82. Did you accidentally enter your answers into PT 83 when you actually took PT 82 instead?

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I've had a couple of scores messed up because I clicked the wrong letters when entering into 7sage analytics. I'd double check that something like that didn't happen

9377 karma

@eRetaker said:
    @"Llama Whisperer" uhh judicial candor was PT 82. Did you accidentally enter your answers into PT 83 when you actually took PT 82 instead?

Good point! Judicial cander passage is from PT82 (Sep 2017 LSAT)!

• Llama WhispererLlama Whisperer Alum Member
    138 karma

Sorry again for the confusion. I have both PT 82 and 83 and typed in the wrong one. Definitely did PT 82 with judicial candor yesterday. Thanks again for all the help everyone!

• gkoebel1gkoebel1 Member
    122 karma

For what its worth, I am taking the September 2018 test next week and just took PT 82 a few days ago. I have taken every PT from 60-82 and this was actually tied for my lowest PT in that range. The RC destroyed me beyond belief ! Don't let it discourage you ! Stay confident and I'm sure you will do great. Good luck !