Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do people look at you differently when you’re in law school? Can it change your reputation?

Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
in General 346 karma

Say someone was a bad boy pothead athlete in high school and broke his high school sweethearts heart. He wasn’t doing anything seriously bad just skipping school and smoking pot and getting bad grades. He gets his act together and gets into a top law school...would that change you mind about someone? Not at all suggesting anyone go to law school to prove a point to an ex or anything but just asking if someone resolved to attend a top law school because that’s what he or she wanted then have they seriously redeemed themselves?

Comments

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Redemption is always possible- what others think of us is none of our business, safeguard your character over your reputation. Best of luck

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

The next time I hear there are no dumb questions, I'll link this thread.

• Trees are GoneTrees are Gone Alum Member
    192 karma

Lawyer I used to work with always told me comparing oneself with the others is a sure recipe for disaster. Although I would say redemption is possible, you should probably think about it - that is of course, assuming who the "someone" is.

• elltoellto Alum Member
    10 karma

Attend law school -> redeem yourself?

If we negate that conditional statement we have:
    /law school and redeemed
    law school and /redeemed

Both of those statements above that we negated seem very plausible, so it would appear that attending law school isn't sufficient for redeeming yourself, and that you don't necessarily redeem yourself by attending law school.

Perhaps then there are many ways of redeeming yourself. If each pathway to redemption partially redeems you because it demonstrates one way you have changed yourself for the better, then complete redemption can only come from the continuous process of disciplining and harnessing the parts of yourself that you find lacking. Just keep fighting the good fight and living out the Dao, or the Way.

I wanted to have some fun with logic, feel free to poke holes in it.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited September 2018 1804 karma

if someone resolved to attend a top law school because that’s what he or she wanted then have they seriously redeemed themselves?

I am not inclined to think that one is "seriously redeemed" simply because (s)he managed to achieve what (s)he wants. Other circumstances notwithstanding, that is (e.g. poverty, drug addiction so bad the person can't even form a coherent sentence like "See Spot run").

Say someone was a bad boy pothead athlete in high school and broke his high school sweethearts heart. He wasn’t doing anything seriously bad just skipping school and smoking pot and getting bad grades. He gets his act together and gets into a top law school...would that change you mind about someone?

It would.

But IMHO, a college graduate should favorably impress a reunited high school friend, law school acceptance or attendance notwithstanding. Since we are talking about a time span of at least four years (I'm assuming this hypothetical person took at least four years to complete undergraduate education), I would expect this "bad boy" got his act together, developed good character, and became a better man -- one who can stand tall in his heartbroken high school sweetheart's presence.

• Lawster9Lawster9 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 393 karma

"#" ElleWoods

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited September 2018 3652 karma

Lol please don’t go to law school for the possible “reputation” boost. The fact that you’re going to a higher level education doesn’t have anything to do with whether or not you currently or in the past smoked weed and slept around.
    I’ve found that usually the more money an attorney makes, the more likely it is that they’re doing cocaine with strippers in the evenings.
    Someone treating women poorly in the recent past isn’t going to be negated by them going to a school for 3 years.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I guess it depends on if that person thinks law school -> redemption. I'm sure there are other ways to redeem yourself. Also, I don't know if bad grades during high school and smoking pot are necessarily things that require redemption... does that define the character of a person? I don't think attending law school necessarily makes you a good person either.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 770 karma

Lol at this thread. I went to medical school and then residency afterwards, nobody gave 2 cents, much less impressed or viewed you differently.
    Can't imagine law school would be any different.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Yes, if they have any idea what law school is.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think personally, redemption should always be internal. The only person you should prove something to is yourself. When it comes to law school, external factors like status, how others view you, etc are generally a terrible reason to pursue an extremely expensive and massively time consuming career path. If someone wants to prove to themselves, that they have redeemed their past, that might be a factor. But even that should not be the only factor, or even the most important. But, how someone else views you is never a good reason to do it.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

no just no. law school isn't a golden ticket to success or redemption or any nonsense like that. it should mean absolutely nothing when it comes to how you view a person.

• mynameisjeffmynameisjeff Member
    edited September 2018 519 karma

• Simple ManSimple Man Alum Member
    448 karma

Going to law school doesn't mean anything. You could easily drop out, or find out being a lawyer isn't for you. In which case all that energy you put towards a perceived sense of "redemption" is gone. If you really seek such "redemption," you need to be a practicing lawyer making that real mother f***ing $$$. But you must be careful... Does a such a sense of redemption equate happiness? Be honest with yourself, and don't base your actions on what you think others will think.

905 karma

Leah thanks for elaborating on my point - it can be a valuable journey of self discovery if you have the passion and discipline for it . But you really need to get to the root of why you want to go to Law school in the first place

905 karma

I don’t think we should mock the op - they shared their opinion with hopes of getting legitimate feedback