Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retake Approach Advice for November?

LauraC829LauraC829 Alum Member
edited September 2018 in November 2018 LSAT 218 karma

I was studying for the Sept. exam but finished the curriculum so close to the exam date I didn't get to take enough PTs before and wasn't exactly where I wanted to be so I withdrew. In the few that I took I was PT'ing in low 160's but BR'ing in high 160's/low 170's. My goal score is a 167 or higher so I know I'm close! I'm good on LR but need to improve in LG & RC and have 2 months to prep. I haven't tried fool-proofing yet, is it smart to spend a whole month fool-proofing or should I just take PTs and drill these two months?

THANK YOU!

Comments

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

I would really suggest starting with LG. That is generally a section where you can see real improvement. I would consider fool-proofing, at least for more challenging logic games. Start pting but don't ignore how helpful sections can be. Just make sure whatever you do, you are BRing correctly and applying what your learn to the next PT.

As for RC, you are two months out so you have some time. Try looking for passage structure. There are a few "types" of RC passages the LSAT will throw at you; science phenomenon passage, the artist biography, the discrepancy in ancient and modern law passage etc. I know there are really helpful webinars on 7Sage that discuss how to tackle various RC passages based on the passage structure. This is where low-res summaries come into play. Good Luck!

• LauraC829LauraC829 Alum Member
    218 karma

@ChaimtheGreat said:
    I would really suggest starting with LG. That is generally a section where you can see real improvement. I would consider fool-proofing, at least for more challenging logic games. Start pting but don't ignore how helpful sections can be. Just make sure whatever you do, you are BRing correctly and applying what your learn to the next PT.

As for RC, you are two months out so you have some time. Try looking for passage structure. There are a few "types" of RC passages the LSAT will throw at you; science phenomenon passage, the artist biography, the discrepancy in ancient and modern law passage etc. I know there are really helpful webinars on 7Sage that discuss how to tackle various RC passages based on the passage structure. This is where low-res summaries come into play. Good Luck!

Thank you! Very helpful!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1777 karma

Fool-proofing is so helpful, but you have to have the time to do it. I spent probably 4-5 hours on this one game about male/female snakes and lizards. I think I did the game 20 times before I could confidently get it in the suggested timeframe. The problem about new and used CDs from five different genres took me at least 10 tries to nail with confidence. It's not just doing to problems over and over though; plan to rewatch the videos a few times, too. The time really adds up. I spent about 3-4 weeks learning LG and fool-proofing, but I wasn't working at the time, so I had a lot of time to invest. I also plan on doing a few more weeks of fool-proofing since I'm sure I'll be rusty pretty soon.

Anyway, taking a bunch of PTs is pointless if you're not taking the time to identify and drill your weaknesses in between. If LG is a big weakness for you, you should at least fool-proof the types of questions that trip you up. I fool-proofed every problem set in the CC, and I was able to get quite a few games done in under 5 minutes... so fool-proofing the easy ones is also worth your time. If you can shave a minute off of a simple sequencing game, that's a whole extra minute for the Misc game on the test.