Need help - Best study schedule ?

Vidar0202Vidar0202 Free Trial Member
in General 20 karma

Hello all !

Long time lurker, first time poster.
As the title suggests, I want to take the LSAT but I don't know when nor how I should given the time constraints that I have.

Here's my situation :
Im a canadian student in my 2nd year of undergrad, studying full time and working part time and trying to find a way to study effectively for the LSAT.

I intend to finish my bachelor's degree in 4 years instead of 3 to maintain my gpa and because of my EC's ( where I live a bachelor's degree is 3 instead of 4 years, considering we have a pre-college school ).
The last rule of this LG question is that I need to apply to my desired law school either next year, or after my 4th year.

I bought the powerscore bibles & practice books. I intend on studying them 5-7 hours a week for the next 7 months. Then, my plan is to study full time the whole summer 35-40 hrs a week to take the september LSAT. I will be getting the LSAT ultimate course from 7sage.

My cold diagnostic was 148 ( 12 LG, 33 LR, 12 RC ). Yes, RC just killed me. Last summer, I focused only my reading comprehension skills for 1 month of part time studying and I increased my score to 154.

Do you guys think this is a good study schedule ?
Thanks in advance for reading through this insecure mess and thank you all for being part of this great community.

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

What is your goal score? Is it going to be feasible to have such a rigorous study schedule while you're still in school? I started with Powerscore before I found 7sage and I don't think that using both hurt me necessarily, but if I were to go back and redo my whole process I would've just started with 7sage. It's a lot better to get good at one method rather than learn one and then learn a different one. A lot of people on here really dislike powerscore's methods.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I think you've got lots of time to reach a great score and apply by your desired timing.

Personally, I didn't find the bible's helpful at all. As for the practice books, are you referring to the practice tests? Ultimage 7Sage package comes with access to all PTs with the exception of 3-4 of the more obscure tests (A, B, etc).

I suggest starting the 7Sage core curriculum now using one of the less expensive packages; you can always upgrade in the future. Go slow. Post your own analysis for questions and answers others' questions. Return to sections you don't understand. Engage on the forum to deepen your understanding beyond the core curriculum and post questions you have.

7Sage's approach is holistic so it makes sense to learn this system (since it's the best) before supplementing with other systems. I've used LSAT Hacks, Blue Print, LSAT Trainer, and, like I said, the Bibles. 7Sage was the best by a loooong shot. Some folks have found the Bibles helpful. But in my experience, it's best to learn the 7Sage system and supplement with the LSAT Trainer.

General approach for part-time students could be:

Core Curriculum: 2-3 months
    Foolproof LG: ~2 months emphasis (never really ends but emphasis shifts to other parts of the test)
    Timed LR Sections (PTs 40-49 as needed): Identify weaknesses, return to core curriculum, develop timing strategies
    Timed RC Sections (PTs 1-35 as needed): Same as LR.
    Start PTing: I liked 1 PT per 10 days because it allowed for thorough BR and drilling/practicing

Don't be afraid to step away from PTs from time to time to focus on roadblocks. Maybe you need more RC practice for example. I called these periods "intensives".

Best of luck!

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 770 karma

@NotMyName said:
    But in my experience, it's best to learn the 7Sage system and supplement with the LSAT Trainer.

I was thinking of buying the Trainer to do this. How much more does the Trainer add to your understanding of the concepts, would you say?

5320 karma

@tekken1225

I was thinking of buying the Trainer to do this. How much more does the Trainer add to your understanding of the concepts, would you say?

For me, minimally. It is a well-written book though and JY himself recommends it. I just didn't need much from it after I learned all the 7Sage methods. I think it's most helpful when used to supplement RC. It also has some LG tactics that can compliment 7Sage (things like using shapes to denote sub-categories but I personally found this to be too cluttering). Nonetheless, it's the only other resource I would recommend buying.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 770 karma

@NotMyName said:
    @tekken1225

For me, minimally. It is a well-written book though and JY himself recommends it. I just didn't need much from it after I learned all the 7Sage methods. I think it's most helpful when used to supplement RC. It also has some LG tactics that can compliment 7Sage (things like using shapes to denote sub-categories but I personally found this to be too cluttering). Nonetheless, it's the only other resource I would recommend buying.

Okay. So would you say it's not absolutely needed to do well on the test, if you only have time to study 7Sage materials before the November test date? Thanks in advance.

5320 karma

Okay. So would you say it's not absolutely needed to do well on the test, if you only have time to study 7Sage materials before the November test date? Thanks in advance.

The Trainer is certainly not a necessary supplement to do well in November.

• Vidar0202Vidar0202 Free Trial Member
    20 karma

NotMyName
    MissChanandler

Thank you both !
    When I mentionned the practice books from powerscore, I was talking about their drill books, or as they call it themselves, the workbooks.

I consider myself lucky since the school im applying to doesn't have too much of a big LSAT median (McGill at 162). I however still aim for that golden 170. I think aiming high can't do harm right ?

I will seriously consider getting the 7sage program asap.
    Thanks a lot !