Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BR Keeps climbing but actual timed score stagnant

Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
in General 2186 karma

So I'm kinda stressing out. I have until the November test to get my average above 170 and my actual PT score isn't budging. For reference, PT 68 had my highest BR thus far (177) but I still only managed a 165 timed. The LG section for this PT was very unconventional and I went -7. (I was spinning my tires on that last game). I was able to do the section -0 with ease once the clock was out of the equation. Lots of lessons to be learned there but I'm clearly struggling with time management/making mistakes under pressure.

At this point, what's the best use of my time? I really don't want to submit apps with anything less than a 168 so I'm starting to feel the pressure.

Comments

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Are you familiar with any methods to increase efficiency and speed?
    Confidence drills are effective for me, since I have timing problems too, so not reading everything and skipping helps me a lot.
    Timed practice section can be helpful (I like to print 25 of the hardest practice questions of each type and try to finish each within 35 minutes).
    Recording myself is also very useful, especially when I compare it side by side with JY's timed recordings to see where I'm wasting time.
    Hope these ideas help you.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

Yeah I've heard of confidence drills. Is it basically answering the questions with your gut before gaining 100% assurance and moving on? And still haven't tried recording myself because I don't really have anything that will allow me to record for a long period of time. (I'm getting a new phone tomorrow so I'll be sure to start recording myself!)

Where do you find sets of the hardest questions by type? This would definitely be valuable for me because I tend to only miss 4 or 5 star questions in LR.