Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not sure if I should do November or January

Hi. I dont think I am ready for the November test and really anxious. I know it's still a month but now I am debating if I should wait til January :( Please help?!

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited September 2018 8689 karma

A thorough answer to your inquiry is going to require a bit more information.
    1.What is your goal score?
    2. What are the scores (with section breakdown) of your last 5 strictly timed fresh prep tests?
    3.How many hours per day of prep time do you have for the LSAT?

Edit: made question more specific, added "fresh" PT.

• @BinghamtonDave My goal score is 170. I am working part - time (3 days/ week but workload is still almost the same)
    I haven't taken another prep test yet since I haven't completed the CC
    It varies everyday since I am working but a total of 25 - 30 hrs./ week is what I allot for review.

8689 karma

The LSAT is 53 days away. The consensus opinion is that the week of, light prep is the preference. This gives you roughly 47 days of learning and implementation in a way that works for you personally, tailored to what I believe should be the max and you've got 49 days. This is not impossible, especially given that for me 25 hours per week was and continues to be just around the sweet spot for my personal prep and development.

The drawback here is that you have not taken a fresh PT or completed the CC, we don’t quite know where you are as it relates to where you want to be (170). Not yet completing the CC signals to me that you might have some gaps in your knowledge of the exam that might be too large to close and master for timed conditions in that roughly 47 days. This ultimately is a judgement call on your end, but I think the time constraint for November’s exam is too strict, although not impossible to meet.

A switch to January would give you time to finish the CC, internalize the concepts, dig deep into your pretests, interact with the study groups and most importantly to many of us: hone your own strategies for implementing the material you've internalized that mitigates test anxiety. These strategies range from skipping questions, to how you read and do the comparative passages on RC. This is one of the things that taking PTs can help us with: honing our own strategies. For instance, some people like to get into the "groove" of LR by doing the first 5 questions in 5 minutes. I personally like to do them in 6 minutes and 15 seconds with confidence. To each their own (within limits). It is stuff like that that when added up, hopefully lets us feel test day's exam as just another PT.

I hope this helps, don't hesitate to reach out, best of luck!
    David

• @BinghamtonDave thank you!! do you think I'd be able to make it this cycle if I take January? :(

8689 karma

for That question you are going to have to check specifically with the schools you wish to attend. Best of luck moving forwards and if you need help with an aspect of the exam, don’t hesitate to reach out on the boards.

David

• Thank you!!! @BinghamtonDave