PT1.S2.Q14 (P2) - One scientific discipline, during its early

diontretdiontret Alum Member
edited September 2018 in Reading Comprehension 80 karma

Can someone please explain why answer choice A is correct.

My understanding from the reading of 43-48 is that biologist were transformed into the new discipline of Molecular Biology. It makes me think two things.Either that they simply revised the old discipline of molecular biology. Or they former a new disciple of molecular biology that was not around yet.

Please help me with this question because I eliminated A based on the fact that I thought that molecular biology might had already been around and that this discover just furthered the already existing discipline making it the new discipline.

Admin note: edited title
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-1-section-1-passage-2-passage/
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-1-section-1-passage-2-questions/

Comments

• AngusMcGillisAngusMcGillis Member
    403 karma

Hey diontret. Based on what you wrote I think you may have missed what the question stem was asking. The question asked about the enzyme theory of life, which is only mentioned in line 31.

We know Paragraph 2 is set in the late nineteenth century and line 31says "newly formulated enzyme theory of life". We can infer that the theory was also late 19th century. We also know that since 1950 molecular biology was formed (line 44) and cytology turned into cell bio. Aside from that, there aren't really any temporal references.

for ACs B,C, D, and E we don't really know when these things were occurring, but A you can reliably infer that it was before molecular bio.

It's important to keep the players of this passage straight
    The author introduces a principle (thesis/antithesis)
    an example of this principle (Biochemists/Cytologists)
    Biochemistry transformed into molecular biology
    Cytology evolved into modern cellular biology.

Hope this helps