Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Listing other law schools on applications

m.deardenm.dearden Member
edited September 2018 in Law School Admissions 28 karma

Hey guys, so some schools ask you to list the other law schools that you're applying to. Some say it's optional; others don't specify, but still allow it to go unanswered.

Do you guys answer this question? I feel like listing other schools could backfire if an admissions committee interprets it as a lack of specific interest in their particular school.

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/17682

Check out this thread from a couple weeks ago, it provides a lot of good insight!

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

If I remember correctly, they're basically trying to play game theory with their competition.
    I think there is absolutely harm in giving them your list if your list makes it look like that school is one of your fall-backs, or if you have a big list of schools.
    I looked at a bunch of harvard acceptances of LSN, and found that a lot of top schools (think CCN or Penn, UVA, etc) who would normally accept these students rejected them, perhaps because they knew either HYS would accept them.

• m.deardenm.dearden Member
    28 karma

@Bamboosprout
    Thanks for the help. I was looking at U-Chicago's, so probably a bad idea to list Harvard or Stanford? Or any school whatsoever? It doesn't specifically say "optional," but nor is it indicated as a required field.

1694 karma

@"m.dearden" said:
    @Bamboosprout
    Thanks for the help. I was looking at U-Chicago's, so probably a bad idea to list Harvard or Stanford? Or any school whatsoever? It doesn't specifically say "optional," but nor is it indicated as a required field.

Yes, but I think it may depend. Put yourself in their position, and look at your application stats. Are you a likely acceptance for Harvard and Stanford? If yes, then don't put it. If not, or if you have a good why X essay prepared, then I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I think in general, it doesn't really hurt to omit this response.
    Chic has the lowest yield rates of any T6 schools, so they might care more, but it can still depend on your stats. Safe bet though, would be to not say anything.

• madagingmadaging Alum Member
    edited September 2018 26 karma

Will not answering it, if the application allows it to go unanswered, hurt you? Will it make you look suspicious and/or draw attention to you?

I'm really tempted to just leave the question blank on all my applications that allow it.

1694 karma

@madaging said:
    Will not answering it, if the application allows it to go unanswered, hurt you? Will it make you look suspicious and/or draw attention to you?

I'm really tempted to just leave the question blank on all my applications that allow it.

It'll probably hurt you a little, but less than if you show them that they are not your top choice. So unless they are one of your top choices or you have a very strong reason for applying to them, probably don't list the other schools.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

As I alluded to in the linked thread, I am very hestitant about this question, especially as the admissions office at one my favorite options told me point blank that they use it for yield protection. I am open and honest in all my one on one encounters with schools, but putting an honest answer to the question on paper seems fraught with risk.

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

Depending on the school, I'm including the other schools I'm applying to that are either within the same rank or location, but making sure that the school isn't the lowest ranked. I don't think it makes much of a difference, but just so the school doesn't feel like it's my safety option. Don't know if this makes sense