Top scorers - how did you overcome pressure on test day?

ReadyForThe99ReadyForThe99 Alum Member
edited September 2018 in General 111 karma

Hi all,

I took September and, upon reflecting, found that the pressure of test day--the environment, being around other test takers, the proctors, etc.--certainly through off my game. I'm curious if anyone has come up with strategies to practice and ultimately overcome pressure on test day. Just so you know what I have already tried:

1) I had been practicing in the same test center location several weeks leading up the exam, so it was not because it was a foreign/unknown environment;

2) I have practiced most types of meditation and mindfulness practices, and even did one before the exam.

Open to other suggestions as I prepare for Nov 2018!

Thanks!

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I socialized with other takers and a proctor before check-in. It cut the tension for me.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I did most of my PTs at a local library, to somewhat simulate noise on test day, or at least having other people around. I occasionally even did a PT in a coffee shop, to practice having lots of distracting sounds. Always practiced with the 7sage proctor too, so I was used to hearing all the instructions.

On test day, I woke up extra early in order to have time to go for a brisk walk to get the blood flowing. I really think that helped me get in a good mindset. It was really quiet and cold (I took in December last year), and a good time to focus.

I think that people often get into the mindset of taking the LSAT to be this massive day that determines your whole future. That kind of thinking is very detrimental and puts too much pressure on yourself. I spent some time quietly reminding myself that the test I was going to take was just like any other of the PTs I've taken. I'm prepared and will do well. On the off chance that I don't, I can always re-take. It's not the end-all be-all event. It's just another PT, of which I'd done many. Just focusing on being calm, assured, relaxed, and focused. I took the day before the test off work and had a nice relaxing day full of some of my favorite things (breakfast at my favorite spot, a fun movie, some netflix, happy hour with friends, etc). I think that really helped to put me in a positive mindset too.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

I was pretty nervous both times, but the guy next to me told me that nervousness and excitement are both coming from the same core emotion. It helped a little.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I also started completing 2 mile runs the morning of my PTs and did the same on test day.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

@eRetaker said:
    I was pretty nervous both times, but the guy next to me told me that nervousness and excitement are both coming from the same core emotion. It helped a little.

I don't know why, but if that guy had told me that, I would be even more nervous.

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    455 karma

My suggestion is to try to channel any nervous energy/adrenaline into focus. But that's just me and I tend to perform my best when the pressure's on. I think it's smart to expect that you're going to be a little on edge on test day, and maybe don't try to minimize that too much.

I made myself a little hype playlist and just sat in the car and sang along for like 10 minutes before I went into my test center, and honestly I think it pumped me up just the right amount and got me in a good mood going into the test. That said, find whatever works for you to get yourself into a good headspace before your test- everyone's different.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Not sure if I will be a high scorer, but I think this might help:

Simulate the real experience, and induce even more pressure.
    - So you should always use the 7sage proctor. For me, I turn it down to 32 minutes and max out the noise and distraction levels.
    - Start every day 2 weeks leading up to the test as if you were going to take the test, and do your most difficult work early in the morning. Get use to waking up extremely early, and switching your brain to optimal capacity at 9AM.

Be realistic, and thus, relaxed
    - Know your limits, because going over them is easy, and can be horrifically detrimental, but also practice so hard that you know there was nothing more to be done, and just embrace fate.
    - You know your average score, and whether you took the PTs realistically or not, so you know where exactly you should be, and you should only expect to perform at or below average, and to expect otherwise is wishful thinking at best, and insane at worst.
    - You can always retake, so what's the big deal. Life won't end because you didn't get into law school this year. Look around you, and appreciate everything you have, and make the most of what's around you.

Be healthy
    - Know that science has proven that an active and healthy lifestyle can contribute more to test taking than most other activities, so don't forego exercise and don't forego a healthy diet.
    - Also try to sleep at least 8 hours a day.

Nerves only exist when there are contradictions in our own minds, such as: desires to achieve things that we don't believe we can achieve, or overwhelming burden to a specific result even when we know some things are not within our control (I use to have these contradictions in my head, and they rocketed my stress). Reconciling with our own self is the best way of getting rid of nerves, but if that can't be done, then try to simulate even more extreme stress, so that the stress on the test day seems more tolerable in comparison (Imagine going sky-diving to overcome the fear of heights).

• ReadyForThe99ReadyForThe99 Alum Member
    111 karma

Great suggestions, thanks everyone!

• khanrsoniakhanrsonia Alum Member
    42 karma

This might sound dumb but I legit just walked in there and told myself that I own the place and that it didn't matter how I did on the exam. I got my personal best and I felt relaxed throughout the exam. Self-talk is really helpful for me but you should defs give it a try!

• DJYoungCorduroyDJYoungCorduroy Free Trial Member
    22 karma

Mine was at 12:30, so I got a lift and a quick run in in the morning.

• PolemarchusPolemarchus Alum Member
    53 karma

Honestly the biggest thing that helped was taking the test twice. I felt much more confident, like I was on my own turf, the second time. Also reading Marcus Aurelius in the morning helps. There's a good reason so many Silicon Valley high performance types are getting into Stoicism. If you can actually convince a part of yourself on test day that the only things that are precious in life are dealing truthfully and justly, the test day nerves can subside a bit.

• Sam TylerSam Tyler Alum Member
    edited October 2018 454 karma

I focused on getting myself really hyped. I think the scientific explination for why this is helpful is because when you become really anxious, it can trigger your fight or flight response. You cant really turn this response off, but what you can do is make sure your in "fight" mode rather than "flight mode". As someone who has dealt with anxiety a lot in the past, I think the best way to describe flight is your brain shutting off, and being unable to think. "fight" mode would be like adrenaline fueled focus. I would litterally wake up before the test and lift some weights in make basement, do push ups, run, etc, stuff to get your body warmed up. focus on self talk that is confident and agressive. anyways this just what I think works for me and I'm sure theres tons of other good options, but this could be one part of your plan.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

Watch Jim Carrey's The Mask the night before. Pretend your'e him when you walk into the exam room, AKA you own life and the world. That should put you in a confident state of mind.