Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question from 7Sager about retaking in November

studentservicestudentservice Alum Member Administrator Moderator Student Services
in General 1421 karma

Hey 7Sagers,

We're posting on behalf of a 7Sager. They would like to get advice from you all!

I have a 3.9 GPA and took the September LSAT. I knew I wasn’t ready because I had only had about 2.5 months to study but I had a lot of people pressuring me to take it and I thought I could convince myself it would be fine.

After studying with 7sage for about two months, I was hitting the mid to low 160s. I just got my score this morning, and got a 152. I am completely devastated and do not know what to do. I feel because my score is so low that law schools won’t even look at me now.

It has always been my dream to go to Harvard because of family legacy and also because I know I can do it with my grades and extracurriculars, but mostly because I want to help the most people possible with law and feel that a compelling education is a key part of that.

I am seeking 7sager’s advice about what to do. I think at this point I should not take the November exam and take a lot more time studying for this exam that I hugely underestimated. I don’t know if I should take another year off because my applications are already going to be late and I regret very much not cancelling my score. I don’t know what to do and am open to any suggestions or resources you have.

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited September 2018 4850 karma

2 points from me, take them for what they are worth...

• This test is a unforgiving beast. Its taken me a year and a half of full-time study (I'm a stay at home dad) to get to my own personal "good enough" score. The test can be learned, but it takes time. If you really want it, roll up your sleeves and put the work in. If you do the time, you will get better.

• If Harvard is your dream, then continue to go for it. However, if what truly drives you is this, "but mostly because I want to help the most people possible with law" you don't necessarily need Harvard. I volunteer at a legal clinic that is staffed 100% with practicing attorneys from a school I guarantee you have never heard of unless you live within 75 miles of me. We have a back log of 2 months for cases and a current caseload that fills fours locker-sized drawers, nearly all of which are at or below the poverty level (a criteria for us to accept a case). Additionally, when the Texas DACA case came up ~2 months ago, we worked 72 hours straight and renewed over 200 work visas for our existing DACA clients. Point being, you don't need a Harvard education to actually help people. By all means, grab for that gold ring if you want it but realize Harvard isn't the only way.

Regardless, the LSAT is a test that rewards hard work and perseverance. Nothing good comes easy. Keep at it and good luck.

ETA: Sorry about the tangent. To actually address your question: If you are looking to substantially raise your score, I would not take the November test and wait until you feel more comfortable. Work your way slowly through the 7Sage CC, drill, review, take PTs, rinse repeat. Give yourself time to learn.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I agree with all of the above. I think that if you really want to go to Harvard and you don't take the extra time to study for the LSAT, then you're selling yourself short. Like you said, you have a great GPA. I think at this point you just have to decide if attending a year later is worth potentially going to your dream school or not. It might be, it might not.