Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comp.......

harrismeganharrismegan Member
edited November 2014 in General 2074 karma
Ok! RC is the bane of my existence (I think I've posted that before. But seriously).

I have been drilling Humanities and Social Sciences passages like NO ONES business because they are my weaker passages. I think someone posted what I'm about to say before, but reading it and experiencing that "A HA!" moment for myself are completely different.

I have found that Humanities passages do the same things over and over again (obviously, I guess, because the LSAT does repeat things over and over again).

The passage will read:
Mike is a novelist. He writes novels in a way that can be read as poetry. He uses literary techniques that are uncommon to the novelistic style.
Critics say that he should stick to the conventions common of novels.
But Mike does not. Instead he persists with using poetry type conventions and that adds something to his novel that traditional conventional novelistic style cannot.

They'll introduce some famous person who writes/sings/paints. Then they'll say that, traditionally, singing/painting/writing is done one way, but that this person does it a different way. And then the passage Is... basically critics saying he should do it the traditional way, and then the rest of the passage explains how his "breaking from tradition" adds something to his writing that cannot be done using traditional.

Something to that end, anyways.

I hope this helps someone else with their A HA!!

Good luck all :)

Comments

• Dillon PGDillon PG Alum Member
    edited November 2014 140 karma
    Mike of every ethnicity and genre under the sun. He seems so familiar to us at this point. Yet, the next LSAT he will inevitably show us how he can distinguish himself from other Mongolian American limerick poets.

Thanks for the post :)
  • carterjohnston83carterjohnston83 Alum Member
    32 karma
    Still doesn't help... ha ha