Timed PT's:155 Blind review:175--too slow to do well clearly

avstepanianavstepanian Alum Member
edited November 2014 in General 33 karma
So on PT 's with experimentals I avg around a 154 because i get to 18 questions per section. When i finish the exam during blind review i get in the 170's. Not sure if i can improve my timing by december...Anyone have advice on what to do?

Comments

• justrandomjustrandom Alum Member
    343 karma
    Will you be taking the December exam?
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    ^ "Not sure if i can improve my timing by december" if he werent taking in December this statement would be irrelevant considering you can't register for Dec anymore lol but thats rough man, drill timed sections like crazy, if you're still not getting them all in by Dec I would think about withdrawing, at this point its the same if you withdraw now or the 5th so give it time and work hard but be aware of where you are at and where you are capable of getting to before test day
  • justrandomjustrandom Alum Member
    343 karma
    I wouldn't consider my response irrelevant Jdawg113 and your statement is a bit condescending. I did not want to assume that he/she was taking an exam in December since this was not specified. What if he or she were going to do a program or a fellowship and wanted /or just can study up to December? The person did not specify if it was like the beginning of December or the month of December, so I was not sure. Or what if that was their personal deadline? I wanted to assure before writing my advice.

Anyways, avestapanian, if you are planning to take the exam next Saturday then I will def suggest doing timed drills. Do different sections under timed condition.s Also try to focus on what has been taking most of your time. Do you hesitate a lot when selecting an answer? Do you overthink the answer choice or is the issue just the speed you are reading at? Perhaps some speed reading exercises can help with that.

The great news is that you understand the material! This is obvious from your blind review score. So like you said, it is about timing. A large part of the test is reaching the correct answer in an efficient manner. Perhaps also take singular sections and trying out different methods to see if something else works for you, such as eliminating wrong answer choices first. Often we don't see change in our scores because we get stuck in the same method. :-)

Lastly, I don't know your circumstances and perhaps this is not an option for you but if possible, maybe you can change your exam date. The reason being that your blind review score shows you have the potential to tremendously increase your score. You seem to understand the material and perhaps if you took some time just sharpening your tools, your actual score would be a bit more reflective of your blind review score. =) If this is an option for you and you don't mind applying to law school the next cycle, perhaps it will be the best decision. I was on the same boat and had to push it off until I felt more comfortable.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    "this statement would be irrelevant" was not referring to your statement @justrandom
  • avstepanianavstepanian Alum Member
    33 karma
    @justrandom thanks for the advice! i already pushed it a cycle last year so i think I'm going to just have to take it by February.