PT1.S4.Q9 - Some people are Montagues and some people

PrincessPrincess Alum Member
edited October 2018 in Logical Reasoning 821 karma

I thought the answer was C, but could someone explain why it is E?

Admin note: edited title

Comments

• VibrioVibrio Alum Member
    625 karma

People some Montagues -----> /C Love
    People some Capulets -----> C Love
    Therefore, Capulets -----> /Montagues
    /Montagues -----> Intemperate

Answer choice E: Capulets -----> Intemperate

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Ah! I remember this question!!! It's the very first LR problem in my binder of "misfit questions". I returned to this question every few weeks and practiced it without diagramming -- v difficult but good practice.

• chiocciolachiocciola Free Trial Member
    12 karma

This is my take (some people prefer to diagram this type of question, I will use a more descriptive approach):

I look at this question as a game of contrasts: all or none.

It’s almost like a LG question, make the inference.

We start from our players, some people are A and some people are B.

Ok, we have A and B.

Then we learn that no A can be crossed, on the other hand all B can be crossed. Now we know they are two separate groups and when it comes to crossing in love they don’t overlap.

Therefore, from the following sentence in the stimulus (aka inference number 1) we can say that Bs are not As.

Alright, I can see how this game goes, it’s our turn to make an additional inference from something new. Earlier they were talking about crossing in love, well now let’s talk about being intemperate (last sentence stimulus).

Knowing what we know, they give us a last piece of info: anyone who is not A is intemperate.
    Who is not A? B. Then B must be intemperate, because they are two different groups. That “anyone” is pretty strong, who is not A? B, C, D, E… the rest of the world. B is one of them.

Answer choice E matches the prediction.

• elliefonelliefon Member
    5 karma

Hi! Still a bit confused after reading these responses. The use of the word "some" and "can" in the stem is tripping me up. I don't understand why "All Capulets can be crossed in love" is a sufficient-necessary relationship. The way I understand the phrase, Capulets don't necessarily HAVE to be crossed in love, though they can be. Similarly, for the phrase "Some people are M and some people are C," I don't take this to mean people are EITHER M or C. This plays out in the answer choices, because for D), it seems like all intemperate people COULD be Capulets, but there could be other intemperate people who could be another unnamed group. Do I just a fundamental misunderstanding of LG?

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited July 2020 4300 karma

Hi @elliefon - I think the best way to get to the correct answer choice is to really pay attention to the last two sentences (everything else above is great practice but not necessary to reach the correct answer).

The last two sentences say; "Therefore, Capulets are not Montagues. Anyone who is not a Montague is intemperate." We can draw this out like so;

C -> M "Capulets are not Montagues" (Not is group 4, negate necessary).
    M -> intemperate "Anyone who is not a Montague is intemperate" (Anyone is group 1, sufficient)

Therefore, C -> intemperate, because when you put it all together you get C -> M -> Intemperate. Which is answer choice E that all Cs are Intemperate.